Camping advice needed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I've tried a buff for my eyes in Scotland when the sun barely goes down, but it's not as comfy I wouldn't say as one of those made for purpose eye masks.

In addition to excluding light so you can sleep at all, it slightly deters your eyes from opening in those moments when you might otherwise fully wake up.

I don't generally camp on campsites so other campers noise isn't a problem.

But the wind in the guylines and buffeting a tent , and thunder and lightening can make it hard to sleep, so earplugs are a must then.

Clanging of cowbells in mountain pasture can also be problematic, but I don't think it's a general problem in the UK..

Just yet.
We definitely saw some bell-fitted sheep in S. Cumbria a while ago.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Never book a weeks camping at 'Rookery Field'.
We were trying to think of a name for the new house, thanks!

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
OK, I'm late to the party as usual, but have no fear! I shall skool our Potsy in the ways of the camping professional and make sure he wants for nothing while he is away from home.

He can borrow my tent (very quick and easy to erect), he can borrow my axe (fire and firewood are essential), he can borrow my toilet spade, he can borrow my bottle opener, he can borrow my camping bbq, he can even borrow my inflatable double mattress. I'm not sure i can let him use my whistling kettle?

I just need to interrogate him to find out when/where this camp trip is so I can wrangle an invite for myself..... :whistle:
Thank you mate, I will give you some details when I next see you.
Is the Land Rover included in the stuff I can use? :whistle:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In Spain during a Sept tour I arrived at a campsite that was almost empty, and selected a pitch a respectable distance from the only other campers in a motorhome.
After dark, a young Spanish couple roll up, park next to me then put their tent up as close as possible to mine, with overlapping guy lines. They then spent the rest of the night trying to make children.
Similar happened to me near Lairg. I was the only outfit [camper van] on site and a tent outfit arrived and set up with their guy lines almost under my wheels. The site covered several acres so not small.
I got my revenge next morning as I was leaving at 5AM and had to warm up the old van engine with exhaust pointing into their tent and fell over the guy lines several times genuinely by accident.😠

My two essentials are:
1. A cool box to stop creatures of the night stealing your meat. I have just come back from an overnight camp with the kids and just left the sausages out in the tent porch; in the morning I found just 2 of the 6 sausages remaining and the packaging about 13 foot away from the tent! Whatever the animal was it was a a very neat nibbler!

2. A gas powered lamp. They give off a good light that is better than battery power and also give off heat as a by product to keep you warm on an evening, just don’t have it lit inside the tent unless you want to die of gas poisoning!

Attachments

• CD945264-646D-41B4-AA70-4C9D7D8B8545.jpeg
    CD945264-646D-41B4-AA70-4C9D7D8B8545.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 4

PaulB

Legendary Member
Oh and a camping pillow - I find I can’t sleep properly withoutu.

You have to sacrifice other things to make room in your rucksack for a comfortable pillow as this is absolutely essential. And, as it's summertime, you'll need a dark tent. Too light in colour and it will wake you with it being so bright inside at an unearthly hour.

My two essentials are:
1. A cool box to stop creatures of the night stealing your meat. I have just come back from an overnight camp with the kids and just left the sausages out in the tent porch; in the morning I found just 2 of the 6 sausages remaining and the packaging about 13 foot away from the tent! Whatever the animal was it was a a very neat nibbler!
This is for car camping?
I second the idea of protecting pretty much any food in the porch. Assorted critters are incredible at sniffing stuff out.
I have had suspicious holes in a bag of my home made cycling snack.
Once had a very strange dream about something burrowing under me.
When I got up I found that a fair bit of chorizio sausage had been eaten and dragged out under the fly.
I think that was probably a hedgehog.
(have had them rattling my pans outside as well)
One cheeky sod went in my tent when I was sat outside eating and drinking - had to push it out with a beer bottle.

Julia9054

Guru
One cheeky sod went in my tent when I was sat outside eating and drinking - had to push it out with a beer bottle.
Awww - sweet!
I used to live in Zimbabwe and go camping quite frequently. The critter issues there were, erm, interesting!
A party of young South Africans did not lock away their food sufficiently. Came back from the bar to find their tent and all their stuff trashed by monkeys!
I have a vivid memory of Al barbecuing steak on one particular camp site whilst waving his barbecue tongs at a particularly bold specimen intent on stealing it.
(for added humour, the monkeys out there have bright blue b*llocks)

Last edited:
I lost my wooden spoon one morning. I found it about 30 yards from the tent with a feep tooth mark. Probably a fox that liked the taste.

Stephenite

Membå
If you have a bad back as bad as mine you might want something like this:

1735D7EA-7998-4ECF-A8F2-0C7FD75E0947.jpeg

Nine inches of mattressy goodness! I can recommend after a couple of nights “camping” in the garden this week.

Top Bottom