Camping in Slovenia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm going to do a 2 week tour there next July. Has anyone got any experience of what it's like to camp there?

JackE

Über Member
slovenia

I read a post last last summer about a couple on a tandem who toured Slovenia. Not wanting to dampen things for you, but in one particular area they were advised not to camp because of the......bears!!
I will try to find it for you.

Alves

I did a CTC tour in Slovenia a couple of years ago and can highly recommend it as a cycle touring destination. several highlights would be the Vrsic pass, the road up to Mangart (a mountain) from the Pradel Pass into Italy in the mountainous North and the wine area in the South. I seem to remember that there is a tick borne Encephalitis threat that may be relevant to campers and hikers but not to road bikers unelss you are wading about in the undergrowth, I seem to remember you need a vaccination but am not sure of this.
It is a beautiful (and affordable) place to visit, enjoy!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Niall Estick said:
Of all the countries, why Slovenia?

Eh?
Possibly because I've heard that it's a beautiful country, good for cycling and one of the few Europeancountries that I haven't yet been to.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
xpc316e said:
Of all the countries, why not Slovenia?

:smile:

Herlihy

Über Member
Slovenia is a really beautiful , friendly and chreap country to visit. We've spent one week's cyling there in each of the past two years and loved the place.

JackE

Über Member
slovenia

Rich,
I found the piece about touring Slovenia on a tandem. It's in the CTC "Cycle" magazine (April/May '08, p.85), hopefully you are a member.
It sounds a wonderful place to tour. Do let us know how you get on. How are you going to get your bike over there?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
JackE said:
Rich,
I found the piece about touring Slovenia on a tandem. It's in the CTC "Cycle" magazine (April/May '08, p.85), hopefully you are a member.
It sounds a wonderful place to tour. Do let us know how you get on. How are you going to get your bike over there?

Hi Jack, I've only just seen your reply!

I am a member but can't recall that article but I'll look back. Thanks.

I wanted to fly from Gatwick as it's so easy to get to for me which meant that the nearest I can get to Slovenia is Venice! I don't mind though as I'm happy to do a day or 2 in Italy en route. Alternatively I may use a train from Venice to the border area but the airport is north of the city so probably not.

JackE

Über Member
slovenia

Watch out for the "mossies" around Venice. Once camped about 30 miles to the north of V and was absolutely eaten alive. It was early Aug so you might just miss the beggars. Please let us know how you get on.

Ive only cycled and camped in Slovenia for one day - enroute croatia to italy along coast - camp site was excellent

However, be careful if you stray into Croatia - Excellent place to tour and plentiful good campsites - but were very aggresive at border leaving - accused me of being vagrent, camping wild etc and continued in this theme for 40minutes while retaining my passport - until I asked for British Consul and produced reciepts for camping (rather belatedly I normally don't keep them and had luckily not thrown away a few)

Top Bottom