Camping on my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
For those of you who solo tour and camp, how do you manage needing to be away from your bike and supplies at times? Is there no risk of theft where you go? Or do you have other strategies?
Thieves generally aren't interested in camping gear and bike trailers as a thing, on the Brompton then the bike folds and comes with me, that's not really negotiable. But if it's only a few minutes then a decent U-lock requires an angle grinder to remove so that should provide enough time for short shopping trips

For those of you who solo tour and camp, how do you manage needing to be away from your bike and supplies at times? Is there no risk of theft where you go? Or do you have other strategies?
Unless you're looking for specific Brompton experiences you may find more info here : Touring & Adventure Forum

In my experience it's very much a function of where you are and for how long.

In a campground my necessities are on me most of the time, plus I try to make friends with my neighbours, if any.
Urban campsites are riskier and some have a bad reputation for theft.
If wildcamping, the tent is normally set up at dark and I'm not going to be wandering away then.

Shopping can be trickier, but a loaded bike is more of a challenge to a thief. Left in a visible spot it should be fine. Only once or twice have I not gone shopping in a particular place after a recce. Again, valuables are in a bar bag and go with me.

I'm wary of leaving the bike for long periods of time, for example, at a museum etc. However, I've often found that a chat helps and I can often put my bike somewhere safer.

Having said all that, I tour on a 20+ year old MTB that looks like a wreck and am usually fully loaded. Someone on a more desirable bike with a lighter load faces different decisions.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You have to choose your places and trust your luck!
Lock your bike and take your valuables with you. Where possible keep in visible range when shopping etc. Otherwise fingers crossed!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
As @HobbesOnTour and @Fab Foodie have already said, it's often about assessing risk. Take a look around at the place and the people; you soon develop a sense of what is more or less risky.
With a fully loaded bike I wasn't keen on leaving it, panniers and all, whilst I visited different places … with one exception. The New Zealand Parliament buildings provides free tours and I figured if I couldn't leave my bike parked safely outside there, there'd be nowhere safe. So I chained the bike and panniers in one of the designated areas and booked myself on the next tour.
Sometimes it's busy places that feel safe - a supermarket entrance with regular footfall and lots of eyes to spot ne'erdowells for example. Even so, I always chain the bike and take the bar bag containing valuables with me. Sometimes in a quiet, out of the way village, I've felt that leaving the bike unchained whilst I pop in to order food is no big deal ... still have the bar bag with me though. If someone is already sitting at a table, I feel it's enough to catch their eye, offer a greeting, then feel somewhat reassured that they'll be likely to intervene if anyone else fiddled with the bike.
Here's a few more thoughts:

View: https://youtu.be/kD03bJANDhM

KarenY

Amazing setup! I tried to search for fiets-a-parts rolltoptas but can’t find it. Could you kindly share the link. Appreciate it.

Top Bottom