Camping on my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Ever considered a trailer?
Not easily done with Bromptons, I don't want to stress the rear frame pivot, so that rules out axle-attached trailers, and there's too much leverage available if it mounts on the saddle... favourite would be something that used an adapter that replaced the nut on the seatpost clamp, but I haven't seen one that does that yet... might have to make one, it would solve some problems, but you'd need the trailer to be folding...

rualexander

Legendary Member
Not easily done with Bromptons, I don't want to stress the rear frame pivot, so that rules out axle-attached trailers, and there's too much leverage available if it mounts on the saddle... favourite would be something that used an adapter that replaced the nut on the seatpost clamp, but I haven't seen one that does that yet... might have to make one, it would solve some problems, but you'd need the trailer to be folding...

Radical Designs make a trailer for Brompton and other folders. They make the a lot of the Brompton luggage so presumably the trailer is not bad for the bike.

https://www.radicaldesign.com/cyclone-iv-chubby

http://travellingtwo.com/13483

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Chriscross my old Columbus trailer had a hitch that fitted to the seatpost clamp. This was an American trailer imported at that time by a firm in Duns, Berwickshire which is now long defunct. You may be able to get such a hitch from the USA.

alesienra

How do you felt the bike? Was the setup ok or you would recommend some changes? Also, for how long did you tour?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Impressively minimalist for winter.
What's the bag on the front?
Front bag is Brompton T bag (an older version I got 2nd hand).
Contained sleeping bag, mattress, clothes, bits & pieces, etc.
Saddlebag (Carradice Super C), contained food, tools, cookset.
Black stuff sack on rear rack has tent in it.

Front bag is Brompton T bag (an older version I got 2nd hand).
Contained sleeping bag, mattress, clothes, bits & pieces, etc.
Saddlebag (Carradice Super C), contained food, tools, cookset.
Black stuff sack on rear rack has tent in it.
thanks for reply - I do have an old Brompton touring front back though never used it.
Must do a bus-aided tour on it sometime when things return to normal - mine is the 5speed with rear rack supplied as standard.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Really enjoyed that. Where was that extremely small road at the end? I'm presuming you were on Skye by then, doing Uig to Armadale, but I could be totally wrong!
Cheers.
Yes it was on Skye.
Between Broadford and Armadale there is a section of old road parallel to the A851, about three miles of it, bit overgrown towards the end!
Took the bus from Uig to Broadford to avoid the busiest section of road.

slow scot

Veteran
Cheers.
Yes it was on Skye.
Between Broadford and Armadale there is a section of old road parallel to the A851, about three miles of it, bit overgrown towards the end!
Took the bus from Uig to Broadford to avoid the busiest section of road.
Thanks for that. Agree re the road. From Broadford to Armadale is quieter, but nowadays best avoided on a bike. I wonder how long the "Outers" will remain a joy on a bike, based on the disaster the North Coast 500 has become.

Top Bottom