Camping or ho(s)stels? - the money case.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quite like camping, although I haven't done loads of it, and I've never yet toured and camped, as in moving on each day. I'd like to, someday.

You have gotta go for it - although with a trike you might need to get a trailer - blown the budget already

There is of course the outlay issue. You might get all the good gear you need for £500, but if you haven't got £500 up front, you either buy cheaper kit (which may, or may not last well) or you pay as you go in hostels etc...

Yes - you buy budget stuff - pick a good time of the year - pick a place to tour with reasonable weather - you do not go to Western Norway where it rains 75% of the time, the westerly winds blow gale force on a regular basis and it can be sub-zero below the glaciers even in late summer - and then upgrade with better stuff as your touring ambitions become greater

I've also heard it said that it's good, when you are cycle camping, to have a night 'off' everyso often in a hotel or B and B, just to have a bit of a stretch in a big bed, and a touch of luxury. Sounds fine to me!

Yes - its just a matter of budgeting for those occasions

OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
Western Norway was great fun last month, by the way. Just google Tindevegen or Jotunheimsvegen to see how beautiful. As you will have gathered, these days I am of the do it properly the first time round school, if you can. And I really do not think there is any point in the occasional night in a hotel or similar. I never do, unless very rarely if there is a very early train or plane to catch etc. I sleep very well in my tent. I do take a day off from cycling now and then, however. My ideal is one day off every three or four days. I use it for domestic chores like washing clothes, bike maintenance, or to vist an interesting town/museum.
I do realize that as a Dutchman my perspective may be different. My guess is that the vast majority of the Dutch camp on their holidays, and even if they don't, most Dutch households will have at least some usuable camping gear. That gear may not be ideal for a cycle camping holiday, but it is a start. I have always had a tent and a decent sleeping bag, from my pretty early childhood. On my first holiday without my parents (to Cornwall), all I had to do was borrow a backpack. In the years thereafter, I would sometimes buy some new kit, and gradually my gear improved (some of it I only had to replace in recent years, some thirty years later). The next buying spree only came some ten to fifteen years ago, when we started camping with our own children, and needed gear for that. Now that much of the original gear from thirty years ago has finally packed up (and some of the stuff we bought fifteen years ago), we have gone into the next round, with light weight and small packing volume even more important than before.
Willem

Fietslogies

Campsites can be pretty noisy and crowdy too. Especially during school holidays.
Last week I met a couple that stayed in a camping in Bruges for 14 euro. They had such a terrible night over there (snoring neighbours, crying children, quarreling youths, music at 3 am and the sound of rain on the tent), they didn't doubt paying 87 euro the day afterwards in a centrally located Ghent hotel for a hopefully more quiet night. Without breakfast!
Then I'd rather go for small scalish and low pricy accomodation e.g. 'Vrienden op de Fiets' in Belgium and the Netherlands.

The Camping and Caravan Club sites have a backpacker rate which covers cycle-campers (ie. someone actually arriving on their camping gear laden bike). Also the Backpackers Club and the Fell Club have lists of suitable campsites, most recommended by their members.

Will only cost you £12 to join the backpackers club, and you get a Mag, and lists to places that will let you camp; some just wild sites, some behind Pubs, some even peoples garden.
I have at times if i think a Pub has a suitable area of there garden asked if i can camp in the garden area, in most cases I have got the go ahead.. more so in the winter with more isolated Pubs, as they then have a captive custumer..LOL

Campsites can be pretty noisy and crowdy too. Especially during school holidays.
Last week I met a couple that stayed in a camping in Bruges for 14 euro. They had such a terrible night over there (snoring neighbours, crying children, quarreling youths, music at 3 am and the sound of rain on the tent), they didn't doubt paying 87 euro the day afterwards in a centrally located Ghent hotel for a hopefully more quiet night. Without breakfast!
Then I'd rather go for small scalish and low pricy accomodation e.g. 'Vrienden op de Fiets' in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Thats not something I have ever really experienced (I think complaining of the noise of rain is a little OTT and maybe is an indication of the peoples mindset) - though being a bit deaf really helps - I've read a few CGOB where all people could talk about was how noisy the campsites were - but generally when it hits 10pm or whatever time the sign says hush is the norm on the majority of European campsites

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It may be the sort of places that me and Smiffy go but I too have hardly ever had a disturbed night like that. Once in Slovakia with some kids having late night frolics but nothing generally worse than the sounds of an enthusiastic couple in the room next door in a hotel.

p.s. I'm sure you all know but it's a good policy to never stay in a Hotel de Gare!

OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
I think you do need to develop some sort of social intelligence to figure out what kind of people are camping on a particular site, and ride on to the next one if you can. I always try to get a place without electricity. That way you avoid people who cannot live without their television or their fridge for cold beer. The fewer amenities, the more pleasant the people you will find, usually.
Willem

sgw

I always try to get a place without electricity. That way you avoid people who cannot live without their television or their fridge for cold beer. The fewer amenities, the more pleasant the people you will find, usually.
Willem

One of my maxims too.

Avoid electricity and concrete is a good guide.

I do find that it makes for large areas (UK) which are in effect no go areas for anyone wanting quiet and seclusion. Riding on to the next one may sometimes be an option but I know of many areas where that could be beyond my usual days riding and would in effect tace you to a different area altogether.

OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
I know that can be a problem in the UK, but also elsewhere at times. But try finding a hotel in the north east of France...
Willem

I think at 67 in a couple of weeks time and having spent most of the last 30 + years holidays in a touring caravan I am too old to start with a small tent etc but I have used hostels both YHA and independents and I could probably manage a bunk house. What are other peoples experiance of the independent hostels. Mine have been very mixed and range from the acceptable to the never again.

Cush, I have cycle camped all over Europe with a friend who is now in his mid 70s. He did not start until he was much older than you. Maybe you should go out and give it a try.

The last time I stayed in an Independent I vowed never again. 4 sets of bunk beds with 8 occupants crammed into a small room, who wants to sleep in that environment? Plus my towel and first aid kits were stolen. YHAs are not that much better and it has been 6 years since I stayed on one of those.

My sleeping exploits are well known. I get 8 hours lovely sleep on the Bike Express, I have camped next to motorways and railway lines and had a perfect night sleep. Only in hostels has my sleep been disturbed. So a few people having fun on a campsite, are never going to keep me awake.

jack the lad

All I can find on the CCC website is the standard £37/year rate which, for a 'beginner' like me who may only wish to camp for a handful of nights in a year, seems a bit steep. Too many of the better campsites (from a cycle-camping point of view of cheapness and simplicity) are members-only. Unlike membership groups like the YHA and CTC, where I can see a sub goes towards concrete benefits or infrastructure, this one just seems a cliquey con to establish some sort of exclusivity.

Does any one have any experience of trying to use the CCC certificated sites as a non-member? I think most of them are just farmers fields. I would imagine they would tend to stick to the rules if you turn up with a huge caravan or motorhome, but are they happy to take non-member backpackers money, especially out of main season?

TwoInTow

Does any one have any experience of trying to use the CCC certificated sites as a non-member? I think most of them are just farmers fields. I would imagine they would tend to stick to the rules if you turn up with a huge caravan or motorhome, but are they happy to take non-member backpackers money, especially out of main season?

We just did a tour and stayed 7 nights out of 10 at small farmer sites like you describe. Not once was I asked about CCC membership (although I was a member and had got the details off the CCC site!). The only place I was asked was a large one in central Milton Keynes which is a Club site.

Top Bottom