Can anyone recommend a helmet cam.........?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeonaBike

I want a helmet cam, preferably 'bullet' style, with a battery life of 2 hours minimum. Can anyone please recommend one? I don't want to be lumbered with a battery in my back pocket or have a great big square thing on top of my head! I am fed up with the rotten driving and the abuse dished out by some other road users. So far, I have only found a bullet camera with about one hours battery life.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am fed up with the rotten driving and the abuse dished out by some other road users.
How will a discreet helmetcam change this?

jarlrmai

Veteran
A camera that lasts more than an hour and is small is either very expensive or not going to exist.

If it's a deterrent get a GoPro or a knockoff (Firefly 6S etc) in a waterproof mount, people will see it and know what it is.

But over an hour battery is hard to get especially in cold weather.

Ciar

Veteran
I run the drift stealth 2, for the odd occasion i want to record my MTB rides. tried it out this weekend for the first time and i thought it was brilliant, recorded a solid 2 hours 30 mins in 28 minute segments, and still plenty of battery left to go.

all in all for the price i think it's great and also pretty small, but really depends how small your looking for.

rossw46

I have a Contour Roam 3 camera, I get about 3 hours on a charge, the quality is great, sound not too bad but does pick up wind noise, seems to record in about 1 hour segments, it's small enough not to notice the weight on your head, but is seen easily enough, which I do honestly think has made drivers think twice on a few occasions.

OP
OP
MikeonaBike

MikeonaBike

Thanks folks, I will take a look at the Drift and the contour. Also, I do not want one to deter bad & abusive drivers, I want the footage to send to the police.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I want a helmet cam

What's your budget?

I want the footage to send to the police.

That's fine, just don't get your hopes up.

GC

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I run the drift stealth 2, for the odd occasion i want to record my MTB rides. tried it out this weekend for the first time and i thought it was brilliant, recorded a solid 2 hours 30 mins in 28 minute segments, and still plenty of battery left to go.

all in all for the price i think it's great and also pretty small, but really depends how small your looking for.
Wow, that looks really good - I might get one myself as the limited battery life on my GoPro copy is a bit annoying. Is it truly weatherproof as is, and I notice it has a mini HD output, so do you know if I can output what the camera sees directly to a TV as I am looking to do this (not bike related)?

Nebulous

Guru
I had an accident whilst commuting. Driver denied responsibility and it turned into a drawn out fight. It worked out okay because a driver behind me kindly stopped, waited and insisted on giving his details to the police. I had some pain for months but lost a lot of confidence and bought a garmin virb. I've used it on my head to commute for about 18 months now.

I rarely watch the footage and its even rarer to do anything with it. I've posted 4 clips to youtube in that time and deleted one of them after getting an apologetic email from the company in question. I had emailed them to tell them the clip was there.

I emailed the police about one incident, where the van hadn't paid their VED. Their response was to say their systems can't view youtube, could I come in to make a statement. By this time I had calmed down and decided not to bother.

Where it does help if at all is modifying people's behaviour. People often change their minds about an overtake when they see the camera for instance. I recently had a woman in the passenger seat of a sports car who intended to throw a bottle top at me and stopped when she saw the camera. 10 metres down the road she threw it at a parked car instead.

I get a roughly equal response from a small number of van drivers, where they either peep at me or give me the thumbs up. I'm not clear why, but I take it as disapproval/approval.

Oh and finally, if your adrenaline is up, sometimes because of an earlier incident, it can be easy to overreact. What the camera does is let me see that some overtakes or incidents weren't as bad as I thought at the time.

Top Bottom