Can anyone recommend insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hello ,

Can anyone recommend an insurer for commuting ? I'm looking for third party and legal costs as my bikes aren't worth much .

Thanks all
British cycling are supposed to be good

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

vickster

Legendary Member
Join British Cycling and they include TP insurance and legal cover so you won't need a separate policy.
Plus you get a lot of benefits like 10% off virtually everything at Halfords, etc.
Membership is £30-odd quid.
Closer to £40 now for Ride membership

I am now with LCC, cost under a tenner for 3rd party and they have a legal partner

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks everyone thats great, the bikes are insured for theft under my home policy but not for legal and third party not that they are worth that much.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone thats great, the bikes are insured for theft under my home policy but not for legal and third party not that they are worth that much.
In the end, it's not about what your bikes are worth but more what you are worth if something serious happens to you. My bike was unscathed when I was knocked off but I'm nearly 4 years into a personal injury claim...I've needed 4 procedure/operations to leg/shoulder and countless sessions of physio, medications etc plus time off work...damage to my property is probably around £150 only (but I'm probably £5k+ out of pocket probably before you even actually consider the injuries)
...or you do something serious to some else (God forbid you leave a pedestrian or other cyclist permanently disabled) or their property (e.g. you do lots of damage to a Ferrari by crashing into it)

snorri

Legendary Member
I had been considering insurance but the British Cycling scheme seems quite complex and is an extra to membership, as it says on their website....
What is Bike insurance?
Bike insurance is not included with your membership.

I would have hoped to get a discount for not taking part in sporting events, and not using bike daily(commuting), but apparently not:sad:.

Buyer Beware!

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
I after a lot of reading have gone with British cycling as my main purpose was to cover my self for legal expense should I need to make a claim or have a claim made against me. A lot of them seem to cover your bike (mine arn't worth much) some cover third party but then use a legal partner and are unclear of who pays for this. British cycling was easy to understand I selected their ride policy as I have no sporting interests.

Nebulous

Guru
British Cycling did very well for me. They appoint a third party solicitor in Scotland, but I didn't have any costs to pay. It wouldn't have been resolved without their help.

I don't why pedalsure doesn't get more recommendations
Under £5pm - with a benefit pay out of £35k if you are killed or seriously injured. TP cover as well.
You can extend it to cover your bike as well (I don't take this up)

Top Bottom