Can anyone recommend insurance?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by BADGER.BRAD, 30 Oct 2017.

Tags:
  1. BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Veteran

Hello ,

Can anyone recommend an insurer for commuting ? I'm looking for third party and legal costs as my bikes aren't worth much .

Thanks all

2. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

British cycling are supposed to be good

BrumJim likes this.
  3. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Join British Cycling and they include TP insurance and legal cover so you won't need a separate policy.
    Plus you get a lot of benefits like 10% off virtually everything at Halfords, etc.
    Membership is £30-odd quid.

4. petek

petek Über Member

GetAGrip and Sharky like this.
  5. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/products/cycle-insurance seems to be about the cheapest for low-value bikes.

ETA.co.uk if you want breakdown cover too.

But are you sure you don't have this in your home insurance package?

Being encouraged to use that shop ain't a benefit!

Illaveago likes this.
  6. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Closer to £40 now for Ride membership

I am now with LCC, cost under a tenner for 3rd party and they have a legal partner

7. OP
    OP
    BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Veteran

Thanks everyone thats great, the bikes are insured for theft under my home policy but not for legal and third party not that they are worth that much.

8. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

In the end, it's not about what your bikes are worth but more what you are worth if something serious happens to you. My bike was unscathed when I was knocked off but I'm nearly 4 years into a personal injury claim...I've needed 4 procedure/operations to leg/shoulder and countless sessions of physio, medications etc plus time off work...damage to my property is probably around £150 only (but I'm probably £5k+ out of pocket probably before you even actually consider the injuries)
    ...or you do something serious to some else (God forbid you leave a pedestrian or other cyclist permanently disabled) or their property (e.g. you do lots of damage to a Ferrari by crashing into it)

9. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

I had been considering insurance but the British Cycling scheme seems quite complex and is an extra to membership, as it says on their website....
    What is Bike insurance?
    Bike insurance is not included with your membership.

I would have hoped to get a discount for not taking part in sporting events, and not using bike daily(commuting), but apparently not:sad:.

Buyer Beware!

classic33 and Illaveago like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Veteran

I after a lot of reading have gone with British cycling as my main purpose was to cover my self for legal expense should I need to make a claim or have a claim made against me. A lot of them seem to cover your bike (mine arn't worth much) some cover third party but then use a legal partner and are unclear of who pays for this. British cycling was easy to understand I selected their ride policy as I have no sporting interests.

11. Nebulous

Nebulous Veteran

British Cycling did very well for me. They appoint a third party solicitor in Scotland, but I didn't have any costs to pay. It wouldn't have been resolved without their help.

Slick likes this.
  12. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Cycling UK, only because I get concessionary membership half price.

13. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

I don't why pedalsure doesn't get more recommendations
    Under £5pm - with a benefit pay out of £35k if you are killed or seriously injured. TP cover as well.
    You can extend it to cover your bike as well (I don't take this up)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice