Can anyone recommend insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Well Im not - nor would I - Maths isn't my strong point - But not quite sure how you've racked up my expenditure of £60 to somehow equate £6000.
Surely the more valid compassion is that I have same TP cover as British Cycling £40 but for an extra £20 I get the £35k life / injury cover.

I'm making the point that life cover purely for cycling is covering a small percentage of the overall risk of dying. Whether cycling is 1% or 10% of that risk is debatable, but is pretty small. Thus the cost comparison should be against a proper life policy covering hazards in general. If you do actually need life assurance then I'd buy proper life cover not overpay for a very niche risk leaving everything else to chance

vickster

Legendary Member
Agree insurance companies are swines for the small print. But that would apply IMO to any injury\death policy not just pedalsure.
There are no lawyers its a benefit. I would still get my £35k - and then be able to claim against a driver if he crippled me.
So it's only in the case of a fault claim, thanks for clarifying. and a blanket 35k whatever the injury? a broken toe versus paraplegia say?

So it's only in the case of a fault claim, thanks for clarifying. and a blanket 35k whatever the injury? a broken toe versus paraplegia say?

Ermmm - where I have said this ?

I have taken it pretty much at face value- if you scrutinise and scrutinise you could find a loophole in almost any policy - that case you wouldn't bother with any insurance at all. There has to be a leap of faith
I don't believe I would get £35k for a broken toe - I do believe I would get the £35k if I got some major injury / died through a cycling accident.

I'm making the point that life cover purely for cycling is covering a small percentage of the overall risk of dying. Whether cycling is 1% or 10% of that risk is debatable, but is pretty small. Thus the cost comparison should be against a proper life policy covering hazards in general. If you do actually need life assurance then I'd buy proper life cover not overpay for a very niche risk leaving everything else to chance

Presumably separate injury cover as well. ? - as that isn't on most standard life policies.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Presumably separate injury cover as well. ? - as that isn't on most standard life policies.

depends what you buy, but the point still stands. Unless you particularly think cycling is ultra risky compared to all the other things you do, I'd not single it out for special cover. If you injure yourself as a pedestrian or doing jobs in the house, or swimming in the sea, or in a fire - where are you then? If you need such cover for life in general then get it. You'd surely not purchase cycle cover, pedestrian cover, diy cover, trampled by cows cover, poking yourself in the eye cover as a myriad of seperate policies - which would be silly and cost a fortune even if each one was the same price as the cycle cover

vickster

Legendary Member
Ermmm - where I have said this ?

I have taken it pretty much at face value- if you scrutinise and scrutinise you could find a loophole in almost any policy - that case you wouldn't bother with any insurance at all. There has to be a leap of faith
I don't believe I would get £35k for a broken toe - I do believe I would get the £35k if I got some major injury / died through a cycling accident.
That’s what I didn’t understand. I never meant that you’d said it :smile:

depends what you buy, but the point still stands. Unless you particularly think cycling is ultra risky compared to all the other things you do, I'd not single it out for special cover. If you injure yourself as a pedestrian or doing jobs in the house, or swimming in the sea, or in a fire - where are you then? If you need such cover for life in general then get it. You'd surely not purchase cycle cover, pedestrian cover, diy cover, trampled by cows cover, poking yourself in the eye cover as a myriad of seperate policies - which would be silly and cost a fortune even if each one was the same price as the cycle cover

Its all about perception. Statistically the risk is small, its safe. But as Chris Boardman recently said it doesn't always feel that safe - a point I agree with. Life cover starts at around £10 a month (admittedly for a higher level £ of cover) - But that wouldn't cover me against injury - and I still wouldn't have 3rd party cycling insurance.

vickster

Legendary Member
But you thanked me for clarifying ?
That it only covered injury caused to one rather than if one is at fault

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Thanks everyone thats great, the bikes are insured for theft under my home policy but not for legal and third party not that they are worth that much.
if you’ve got personal liability cover with your home insurance, that will cover you on your bike. check your documents to see if you have this, although it’s pretty standard...

Crankarm

Guru
I after a lot of reading have gone with British cycling as my main purpose was to cover my self for legal expense should I need to make a claim or have a claim made against me. A lot of them seem to cover your bike (mine arn't worth much) some cover third party but then use a legal partner and are unclear of who pays for this. British cycling was easy to understand I selected their ride policy as I have no sporting interests.

I am with BC as well. I think you have to be clear what you actually want to insure. For me it is insurance against claims made by a third party against me i.e. if when I am knocked off the other party knocking me off makes a claim against me I am insured. Claims with attached legal costs can quickly mount. I don't fancy losing my house or life because I didn't have insurance. Insuring my bike(s) for damage or theft, or me for injury or inability to work is another matter which again you can insure for but it ain't cheap if you have some nice bikes. Some choose to self insure or some areas are covered by other insurances such as home insurance, work benefits or add ons to bank accounts for example. However be aware that if two cyclists collide who both happen to be BC members then you are not covered for claims. It was in their small print some years ago. It might have changed, but might not.

Top Bottom