Can anyone recommend insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't why pedalsure doesn't get more recommendations
Under £5pm - with a benefit pay out of £35k if you are killed or seriously injured. TP cover as well.
You can extend it to cover your bike as well (I don't take this up)

£60 per year sounds quite a lot for 3rd party cycle insurance. My 1000cc motorbike is only 3 times that

I had been considering insurance but the British Cycling scheme seems quite complex and is an extra to membership, as it says on their website....
What is Bike insurance?
Bike insurance is not included with your membership.

I would have hoped to get a discount for not taking part in sporting events, and not using bike daily(commuting), but apparently not:sad:.

Buyer Beware!

I had a discussion elsewhere - at the time I thought insurance not worthwhile (for bikes I still don't) - but some people thought the very basic insurance covered them for loss of earnings, private health care etc - quite revealing.
Never fully understand the legal thing - as you can just appoint your own solicitor anyway

£60 per year sounds quite a lot for 3rd party cycle insurance. My 1000cc motorbike is only 3 times that

Its the £35k benefit payout - that makes is slight more expensive than the typical £40 insurance.
Thats a cast iron benefit - you don't have to win a court case to get that amount.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Its the £35k benefit payout - that makes is slight more expensive than the typical £40 insurance.
Thats a cast iron benefit - you don't have to win a court case to get that amount.

given the very low risk of being killed cycling compared to all the other risks of dying doesn't seem a good buy. If you need life insurance for all purposes I recon you'd be in the same ball park. If you have to buy a seperate life policy for £5 a month for each and every conceivable risk you'd be broke pretty smartish.

For comparison I'm paying £35 per month for £150k of life cover, including caving, diving, mountaineering

Reactions: srw
given the very low risk of being killed cycling compared to all the other risks of dying doesn't seem a good buy. If you need life insurance for all purposes I recon you'd be in the same ball park. If you have to buy a seperate life policy for £5 a month for each and every conceivable risk you'd be broke pretty smartish.

For comparison I'm paying £35 per month for £150k of life cover, including caving, diving, mountaineering

I am only getting a quarter of that amount for life cover - very roughly that would cost me 1/4 of £35 (£8.40) - Plus I have cover for loosing limbs etc & TP cycling cover for £4.62 pm. Most people have british cycling for £40, with no life cover - I am paying £2pm over and above that.

Mrs Kingrollo is very keen I have this cover - not sure why !

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a discussion elsewhere - at the time I thought insurance not worthwhile (for bikes I still don't) - but some people thought the very basic insurance covered them for loss of earnings, private health care etc - quite revealing.
Never fully understand the legal thing - as you can just appoint your own solicitor anyway
You can but Leigh Day through BC as an example don't take a cut of any payout - you get the full amount, they charge their fees on top

How do Pedalsure define seriously injured out of interest?

You can but Leigh Day through BC as an example don't take a cut of any payout - you get the full amount, they charge their fees on top

How do Pedalsure define seriously injured out of interest?

There is a list of injuries in the policy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It may depend whether you can get general life insurance or if you're one of the insurance lepers with diagnosed-and-treated-but-incurable chronic illnesses which apparently don't count as disabilities (which businesses would not be allowed to discriminate against) for this purpose.

:rolleyes: Yes and you've clearly got a policy so why not copy-paste them rather than forcing everyone else to search for it and potentially get the wrong one?

Chill out - I thought it was a general enquiry without a view to a purchase !!!

"Covered injuries which trigger payment include permanent total disability, paraplegia or quadriplegia, loss of limb, loss of sight or hearing, loss of speech, and broken bones."

Plenty for you all to rip into there !
Im not saying its perfect - but for £20 pa extra than British cycling I don't think its a bad deal. All about opinions though

Profpointy

Legendary Member

"Covered injuries which trigger payment include permanent total disability, paraplegia or quadriplegia, loss of limb, loss of sight or hearing, loss of speech, and broken bones."

Im not saying its perfect - but for £20 pa extra than British cycling I don't think its a bad deal. All about opinions though

Yebbut it's only for cycling death / injury. Let's guess cycling is somewhere beteen 1% and 10% of your total risk exposure that means youwould (notionally) paying between £600 and £6000 pa for life cover if you covered the rest of your risk on a similar basis. That sounds an awfull lot to me.

vickster

Legendary Member

Regardless of fault or only if non fault ie you’re knocked off? If the former then it might be worth it if all other legal benefits are the same as BC, ie the lawyers don’t take a cut of your payout like many no win no fee firms

It seems surprising as it’s fairly easy to come off on leaves day and break a bone. I’d want a magnifying glass to read the small print

Yebbut it's only for cycling death / injury. Let's guess cycling is somewhere beteen 1% and 10% of your total risk exposure that means you would (notionally) paying between £600 and £6000 pa for life cover if you covered the rest of your risk on a similar basis. That sounds an awfull lot to me.

Well Im not - nor would I - Maths isn't my strong point - But not quite sure how you've racked up my expenditure of £60 to somehow equate £6000.
Surely the more valid compassion is that I have same TP cover as British Cycling £40 but for an extra £20 I get the £35k life / injury cover.

Regardless of fault or only if non fault ie you’re knocked off? If the former then it might be worth it if all other legal benefits are the same as BC, ie the lawyers don’t take a cut of your payout like many no win no fee firms

It seems surprising as it’s fairly easy to come off on leaves day and break a bone. I’d want a magnifying glass to read the small print

Agree insurance companies are swines for the small print. But that would apply IMO to any injury\death policy not just pedalsure.
There are no lawyers its a benefit. I would still get my £35k - and then be able to claim against a driver if he crippled me.

Top Bottom