Can bike tyres be harsh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Just a general question regarding the difference in tyre brands.
For the last year I've been enjoying my Schwalbe Lugano folding tyres (700c 23mm) as I found them very comfortable and compliant on the road. A couple of weeks back, I noticed the rear one starting to show signs of the wear ( a small bulge) in the wall coming through.
As I was embarking on a long distance ride I decided to change them over to some new Michelin sport dynamic,s I had sitting in the garden shed , but I don't know whether or not it's just a phycological thing, but to me they feel very harsh out on the road and make a once nice smooth bike ride into a bone jarring experience.
The Michelins have got a solid bead as opposed to the folding Schwalbles and was wondering if this has anything to do with it.
If anyone could throw any light on this I would be very grateful to hear your views .
All the very best .
Johnny

potsy

Rambler
Let a bit of air out of them :okay:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
My tyres are harsh.

Last week they said "get off you fat b*****d".^_^

I don't think it's the bead. It's more likely to be the compound. As suggested already, drop your pressures a bit and see what happens.

Interestingly, I bought some Luganos a while back and regretted it. The rolling resistance on them was awful, like riding over sticky treacle. I swapped them for some Vittoria Rubino Pro's, and they are now my tyre of choice.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's a good point. I've inflated these to the same pressure as my old ones (around 100 psi). I will drop the pressures to around 90 and see how I get on with them. It's just that the feel very different compared to the Schwalbes as in harsh , poorly balanced and somehow dead , if you know what I mean.

Depends on the suppleness of the sidewall. In general, thinner sidewalls will give a more comfortable ride but will be more susceptible to damage. Higher quality tyres aim to provide both but it's always going to be a compromise. Especially at 23mm.

As Raleighnut said, the bead has nothing to do with it.
If you flex the sidewalls of the two tyres by hand (off the wheel obviously) and they don't show noticeable difference in stiffness and, if the tread area has more or less the same thickness of rubber, then the tyres will feel very similar on the road. There is nothing else in there that can make a difference.

The one thing is quite strange with tyres. They give difference acoustic feedack. Some sound thin and whiney, others fat and sloppy. I'm taking sound only. Riders then project that perception to physical characteristics. In other words, some tyres sound fast and others sound slow. See if you can convince yourself that what you hear is not what you feel.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks again all..
Always appreciated having some good advice off fellow members.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you use latex inner tubes the tyres will ride more smoothly and will sound great.
- and you'll have to top up the pressures everyday. I use them with GP4000s and they sound great - just like tubs, but they really do lose a lot of pressure overnight.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Well ,,,,I've well and truly made my mind up about these tyres. There coming off tomorrow and getting replaced with a set of Schwalbe Luganos again.I lowered the pressure in them today to around 85psi and suffered a pinch flat. This is the third puncture in three weeks now, and this combined with the harsh ride and general dead feel to them has finished my faith in them. I manage well over 1000 miles puncture free on the luganos and they always felt smooth and responsive out on the road. Off with the bad and on with the good tomorrow and hopefully back to some more enjoyable cycling again.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Depends on the suppleness of the sidewall. In general, thinner sidewalls will give a more comfortable ride but will be more susceptible to damage. Higher quality tyres aim to provide both but it's always going to be a compromise. Especially at 23mm.
tpi presumably has a significant impact on this - that is, more tpi, thinner fibres, more suppleness and v-v.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Today I went out on a new set of Luganos and the difference between these and the Michelin,s was quite a revelation. I inflated them to around 100 psi and they feel so much better. Gone is the harshness, and replaced by a nice smooth run. They also feel so much more responsive and predictable. I will never again use Michelin tyres after the experience of the last ones. If I knew no better and was a complete novice to cycling and took my first tentative steps on to two wheels I'm sure the bike would of been relegated to the garden shed after a couple of weeks by not knowing tyres can make or break a pleasurable bike ride.
All the best .
Johnny

Top Bottom