Can / SHOULD we fine cyclists for riding no handed? £5000 fine - seems low!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A mate of mine was cycling his unicycle back in the day, and was stopped by a policeman who told him he couldn't cycle on the road. "why not", then a bit of a debate culminating with the policeman eventually deciding "because it doesn't have a front brake".

< snip>

To be fair, the "lack of front brake" point may actually have been technically correct.

to be fair it lacks a front wheel so maybe the point is moot.

I suppose you could say that it has a coaster brake as ceasing to pedal performs a retarding function and meets the criteria of being both front and back wheel brake :smile:

jido

I have a question about riding no-handed.

I just got a new cycle, it is one of these "fixies" - I wanted to give a go to single speed cycling - and the front wheel will very easily go 180°. Despite that I tried no handed riding.

I find that riding no handed is a little incomfortable as I will feel the need to compensate to the right or to the left all the time.

I checked the wheels alignment and the seat alignment (and tightening!) and they seem good, do you know why that would happen? My thought is that I am not used to the seat yet and I am simply slipping off-centre. What do you think?

Top Bottom