Canned fish - yummy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I decided I wasn't getting enough oily fish in my diet so have been re-acquainting myself with the old student staple of canned sardines and mackerel. There's nothing as good or tasty, especially sardines mashed with a boiled egg, mayonnaise and black pepper then spread on bread. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Next up is mackerel in curry sauce, then smoked with black pepper and in mustard sauce.

The rest of the family don't seem to share my enthusiasm though!

Melvil

I'm with you on this, RR!

I used to buy jerk mackerel from my local effnik food store and it was ace!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Sardines on toast with a little black pepper and sliced tomato imho is a great snack.

Maz

Guru
are sardines boneless when you buy them in the can or can you eat the bones with the fish?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Oh yes, sardines on toast are the most :biggrin:
Not as nice as fresh sardines grilled on the beach in Portugal, but there you go!
Pilchards are ace too!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I use tinned mackerel to make poor man's kegeree - rice, chopped hard boiled egg, a little indian spice (not hot, just a little cumin, coriander, tumeric) and mackerel. The real thing uses smoked haddock, which is out of my price range at the moment.

And some weeks, I have tuna for two or four dinners, half a tin at a time, either in a tomato or cheese sause, with pasta or rice.

Not so keen on sardines. One of those things I ate while I lived at home, because that's what was served, and they were OK, but I haven't bought a tin since I left home.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Maz said:
are sardines boneless when you buy them in the can or can you eat the bones with the fish?

The bones are in there as well. But they are so small that once you have mashed them up they are undetectable.

Maz

Guru
Paulus said:
The bones are in there as well. But they are so small that once you have mashed them up they are undetectable.
cheers man, was wondering when someone would answer that for me.

Mackerel in tomato sauce - mmmm - yummy

Absolutely love it on toast

My 2 kids have been having Mackerel in tomato sauce mixed with mashed potato or pasta since they were old enough to eat solids - their favourite meal and good for them too

Top Bottom