Canned fish - yummy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Rigid Raider said:
Smoked mackerel is Heaven on Earth. Or on a plate.

Had smoked mackerel for lunch yesterday. It's even nicer with sambal.

Pete

Kedgeree ... kitchari - whatever its name is, yes we enjoy it too. Usually made from smoked haddock bought loose at the fish counter (preferably undyed), but I'm sure the version made from tinned fish can be just as good.

Tinned fish? Probably under-rated and rather disparaged by the foodie snobs of this world - I don't go along with that I hope, though I must admit to rather neglecting the tinned option when I think about fish (which is often). Perhaps I ought to consider it more...

Incidentally, we had some nice sprats at the weekend, from the fresh fish counter at T**cos (a rare treat). A bit fiddly to prepare (we prefer to cut the heads off and clean out the guts) but very tasty! Coated with flour, lightly fried and served with a sprinkle of lemon juice. And yes, you can eat the lot, bones and all...:biggrin::tongue::tongue:

bobg

Über Member
Fnaar said:
BTW, canned fish fans.... if Lidl has run out the cycling gear you went in for, they do some great and very cheap canned fish!

Their mackeral in a mild curry sauce is particularly good...

Been buying it "fresh" recently - nice big one for about 65p - stuff with caramelised red onion done in olive oil and some left over white wine + crusty roll with real butter....:biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Pete said:
Incidentally, we had some nice sprats at the weekend, from the fresh fish counter at T**cos (a rare treat). A bit fiddly to prepare (we prefer to cut the heads off and clean out the guts) but very tasty! Coated with flour, lightly fried and served with a sprinkle of lemon juice. And yes, you can eat the lot, bones and all...:biggrin::tongue::tongue:

Are they the same as whitebait? If so, I used to love em, me mum used to do 'em... haven't had them for years .. (makes mental note to self....)

bobg

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Are they the same as whitebait? If so, I used to love em, me mum used to do 'em... haven't had them for years .. (makes mental note to self....)

Me neither ( hops on bike and aims for the fish shop) mmmm. :biggrin: No prep just chuck in hot oul and munch...

walker

Fnaar said:

Not quite, a little bigger but cooked the same way.

Arch

Married to Night Train
BTW, anyone know the difference between a sardine and a pilchard?;)

Also, thinking of tinned fish v fresh, anyone see Delia's cheating programme last night? I'm still trying to decide what I think. For some reason, I despise the idea of frozen mash, like she used, although I merrily use Smash and other powdered brands - for some uses, I actually prefer them to real. Funny how we all have our little foibles.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Talking if fish - I haven't seen Bombay Duck for years

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
BTW, anyone know the difference between a sardine and a pilchard?;)

Also, thinking of tinned fish v fresh, anyone see Delia's cheating programme last night? I'm still trying to decide what I think. For some reason, I despise the idea of frozen mash, like she used, although I merrily use Smash and other powdered brands - for some uses, I actually prefer them to real. Funny how we all have our little foibles.
i think strawberry-flavoured things taste tons better than the real thing.
they are probably the most disappointing fruit going IMHO...you see them gloriously coloured in the shop only to find they taste as bland as tap water. N'est pas?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Arch said:
I feel the same way about tinned salmon

Top Bottom