Canned fish - yummy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
interesting, in urdu we'd call that kicheree - probably same derivation.

Yes, it's an Anglisisation of the word - I believe it was a favourite of old colonels-of-the-raj types, for breakfast.

It was my favourite dish as a kid (still is now, if I make it properly). My Dad made it the day my sister was born, and forgot Mum wasn't there, so made the normal amount for 2 adults and a five year old me, and I still ate half of what was there!:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rab said:
Mackerel in tomato sauce - mmmm - yummy

Absolutely love it on toast

My 2 kids have been having Mackerel in tomato sauce mixed with mashed potato or pasta since they were old enough to eat solids - their favourite meal and good for them too

ooh, I'll mention that to my sister. She is trying baby Oli on all sorts of veg and fruit purrees and he seems to have quite a wide range of likes... Not quite up to real solids yet, but it won't be long.

Maz said:
interesting, in urdu we'd call that kicheree - probably same derivation.

It's indeed the same derivation - Anglo-Indian cooking and vocabulary. Along with bungalow, chukka, jodhpur, doo-lally and so on.

The bones in sardines are a valuable source of calcium.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
It's indeed the same derivation - Anglo-Indian cooking and vocabulary. Along with bungalow, chukka, jodhpur, doo-lally and so on.

And Juggernaut.

Some friends were talking about a bollywood film the other day, and saying the dialogue was Hindu, with the odd recognisable English word stuck in, and I reckoned English must be like that in reverse to a hindi speaker!

walker

Before the day's of Whey protein etc, alot of weight lifters would go to the gym with tins of Tuna to bulk up as it contains a high protein count.

Arch

Married to Night Train
walker said:
Before the day's of Whey protein etc, alot of weight lifters would go to the gym with tins of Tuna to bulk up as it contains a high protein count.

Oh yes. If you have enough in a couple of carrier bags, they make decent weights too...:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Prefer fresh Tuna steaks - now they are nice. Not a big fish fan.... just Salmon and Tuna mainly - and fresh - the tinned stuff is nowhere near as nice.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
BTW, canned fish fans.... if Lidl has run out the cycling gear you went in for, they do some great and very cheap canned fish!

longers

Legendary Member
I heard a piece on radio a few years ago where a chap was extolling the merits of vintage sardines. He bought tinned ones in oil and kept them for years, turning occasionally. He said the bones dissolved over time and the flavour improved with time.
Not tried it myself as tinned sardines repeat on me :biggrin:. Fresh ones are ok though :sad:.

I do make a nice mackerel pate, take mackerel, add black pepper and lemon juice, mix a pot of cottage cheese into it and it's very good on toast.

Top Bottom