Canned fish - yummy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Only last night I congratulated my wife on her rich manly effort with genuine timbre, much improved on her previous evening's strangled squeak.

Pete

Fnaar said:
Are they the same as whitebait? If so, I used to love em, me mum used to do 'em... haven't had them for years .. (makes mental note to self....)
Very similar in flavour and preparation, though a different species I think, sprats are larger, and some people (us included) prefer to take off the heads - you never do so with whitebait (well, you couldn't, you'd be there all day...).

Sprats are remarkably good value for money, with or without heads.

buddha

Veteran
A recipe I learnt from a Sri-Lankan is fried chilli fish balls:
1) Mash a tin of pilchards (in tomato sauce) and mix with some chopped green chilli, finely chopped onion, breadcrumbs, a little salt, pepper and a little beaten egg.
2) form into balls
3) dip fish balls into beaten egg and coat in breadcrumbs
4) deep fry
Delicious with rice :-)

U

User169

yorkshiregoth said:
I don't think tinned tuna counts as an oily fish for some reason. It has to be fresh.

I guess the omega 3 fatty acids must degrade during the canning process.

I think it's better where the tuna is canned in water; when the fish is canned in oil the fatty acids in the fish mix with the oil and then get drained away.

stevenb

I always buy tinned sardines and tuna.
The most vile (as in visual appeal) meal I eat is sardines in either pepper sauce or tomato sauce with tinned macaroni and either cauliflower or broccoli.
But its good for me....so I eat it. :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
yorkshiregoth said:
I don't think tinned tuna counts as an oily fish for some reason. It has to be fresh.
its only oily if it's in sunflower oil right?
the stuff in brine aint oily.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Arch said:
BTW, anyone know the difference between a sardine and a pilchard?:biggrin:

Also, thinking of tinned fish v fresh, anyone see Delia's cheating programme last night? I'm still trying to decide what I think. For some reason, I despise the idea of frozen mash, like she used, although I merrily use Smash and other powdered brands - for some uses, I actually prefer them to real. Funny how we all have our little foibles.

I watched Delia last night. The recipes looked tasty, I would never have thought of the combinations of seasoning that she used. I do not think I would use frozen mash, (or ready prepared quails eggs) , but I would prepare the mash as usual and follow the rest of her recipe(s). Not sure about the chocolate cake with mashed potato in it tho'.:sad:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
BTW, anyone know the difference between a sardine and a pilchard?
In the UK, it was only size that differentiated a sardine from a pilchard.

However when the fish stocks recovered in the west country, it was found that fresh pilchards were unsellable in this country as people associated them only with the tinned variety, so they are now marketed as Spanish Sardines so as to link them to the fish they had enjoyed on their holidays.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yorkshiregoth said:

I didn't think tuna was an oily fish at all, I thought it had to be mackeral or salmon or somesuch...

Maz - can't tell if you are joking, sorry if you are - there's a distinction between oily fish, which are rich in Omega three, and others, it's not to do with what they are tinned in....

*goes away to google to check*

Top Bottom