Cannondale Bike weights..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just had a chat with Westbrook cycles and the man on the end of the chat line said.. Don't know what the Supersix Ultegra 2015 weight is as we haven't got one built up but the new 2016 model is 7.5kg.
I'd want him to send me a picture of it on the scales before I parted with any money. Easy enough to do.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I'd want him to send me a picture of it on the scales before I parted with any money. Easy enough to do.

Good call that, I might phone them tomorrow and see what they say but the 2016 model might of had a revamp perhaps? Still not heard from Sigma

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Read a review from BR on the 2014 Supersix Evo Ultegra 3 and that came in with 7.47kg which is about the same as Westbrook's 7.5kg and Evan's weighing said it was about 8kg but that might include pedals.
But I will ring Sigma if they have not replied in two days..which is today?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Just had a chat with Westbrook cycles and the man on the end of the chat line said.. Don't know what the Supersix Ultegra 2015 weight is as we haven't got one built up but the new 2016 model is 7.5kg.
That is pretty impressive with the standard wheels Mavic Aksium Elite WTS, minus pedals I guess.

From what I can gather is the 2016 has been revamped, a bit of marketing splutter about "trickle down" (hate that spiel) from 2014/15 HiMods Carbon layup. Smoother over the rough stuff. All standard marketing.

The main thing I would say rates the 2016 over and above the 2014/15 is that they have at last made the clearance between the chainstays wide enough to take a larger wheel/tyre combo and more space above the rear brake calliper. The older models can only run an older style thin wheel and max 23mm tyre. Rather than the now in vogue wider rim with 25 or 28mm tyre. For me that would be worth it, being able to rune Raceblade longs or PDW guards and or 25mm tyres.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I recently *September* completed the long course called *Ecky Thump* of the Bolton Bash.
65m long & what felt like 65m uphill. This was a real tough one with gradients of up to 24% & sustained stretches between 15% > 20%.

What I learned on that ride (as I was pushing my bike on foot for the 3rd time) was that my bike weight, cost, kit & component parts were largely irrelevant.

I was passed by many much older cyclist's both male & female on bikes that cost much less & undoubtedly weighed more than mine.
A girl on a TT bike flew past me uphill as if I were stood still, she was a Pro Rider for British Cycling.
More important than what wheels I used or how light my carbon seatpost was, fitness & lack of miles in the saddle was my biggest limiting factor. I was untrained for the type of terrain I was faced with.

Having said all of that, power to weight ratio is said to be important for climbing & now that you have brought it up, I will be interested to *one day* weigh both my bikes & discover the difference.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

I completely agree fitness, rider weight and experience are crucial. But I bought a Boardman CX in 2011 for winter and I hated riding it so it did one winter service and then I wintered up my then best bike and my daughter took over the Boardman. It weighs a ton and has got pretty crappy wheels. I had to use it for ten days commuting again and my average speed dropped like a stone and I was hating it again. The lighter more pleasurable Supersix saves me around 10% in time spent doing 150 commuting miles over 5 days. Same rider, same route, similar weather and a happier rider. For me its worth it. Suspect this Boon's concern that the Domane felt horrible to ride and he thinks it was the weight

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
That is pretty impressive with the standard wheels Mavic Aksium Elite WTS, minus pedals I guess.

From what I can gather is the 2016 has been revamped, a bit of marketing splutter about "trickle down" (hate that spiel) from 2014/15 HiMods Carbon layup. Smoother over the rough stuff. All standard marketing.

The main thing I would say rates the 2016 over and above the 2014/15 is that they have at last made the clearance between the chainstays wide enough to take a larger wheel/tyre combo and more space above the rear brake calliper. The older models can only run an older style thin wheel and max 23mm tyre. Rather than the now in vogue wider rim with 25 or 28mm tyre. For me that would be worth it, being able to rune Raceblade longs or PDW guards and or 25mm tyres.

Well the 23 cc max tyres might be a deal breaker for me as I don't want to run that size I want to run as you say 25 or 28's. Glad you mentioned that I owe you a pint for that info, I would never of asked? :notworthy:
So I still have the Giant TCR Advanced 2 2016 @ £1299 which was my first choice but I will look elsewhere for an 8kg race bike and see what I can come up with.

Cheers Paul..

PS I will keep the thread going so if anyone wants to nominate a bike or two please free?
Are the Caad 10's too harsh a ride?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I completely agree fitness, rider weight and experience are crucial. But I bought a Boardman CX in 2011 for winter and I hated riding it so it did one winter service and then I wintered up my then best bike and my daughter took over the Boardman. It weighs a ton and has got pretty crappy wheels. I had to use it for ten days commuting again and my average speed dropped like a stone and I was hating it again. The lighter more pleasurable Supersix saves me around 10% in time spent doing 150 commuting miles over 5 days. Same rider, same route, similar weather and a happier rider. For me its worth it. Suspect this Boon's concern that the Domane felt horrible to ride and he thinks it was the weight

Andrew_P

Well the 23 cc max tyres might be a deal breaker for me as I don't want to run that size I want to run as you say 25 or 28's. Glad you mentioned that I owe you a pint for that info, I would never of asked? :notworthy:
So I still have the Giant TCR Advanced 2 2016 @ £1299 which was my first choice but I will look elsewhere for an 8kg race bike and see what I can come up with.

Cheers Paul..

PS I will keep the thread going so if anyone wants to nominate a bike or two please free?
Are the Caad 10's too harsh a ride?
I have read that some people have run 25's I suppose it depends on the actual real life size but as far as Cannondale are concerned it invalidates the warranty. I got a massive tear in one of my tyres so I nicked one off of the Boardman it was a Specialized Armadillo 25mm and it was to close to run safely

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I think fitness and bike weights are the key..

I don't know how you compare fitness but I'm 64 and on a standard Cat 4 hill which there are loads on the mountains I live on my gearing is 50 / 23 at a steady pace on my Giant Defy Advanced (8.1 kg ) or 52 / 23 on my Trek Emonda SL 8 Dura Ace (7kg ) which is a gear higher for a kilo lighter.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I have read that some people have run 25's I suppose it depends on the actual real life size but as far as Cannondale are concerned it invalidates the warranty. I got a massive tear in one of my tyres so I nicked one off of the Boardman it was a Specialized Armadillo 25mm and it was to close to run safely

I know tyre sizes can vary from make to make.

Top Bottom