Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

In the summer I would be out on my bike couple times a week. Now I can't be bothered to go out on my bike once a week. The cold weather is really off putting and I never know how to dress, while in the summer it would be cycling shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Does anyone else feel the same?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don’t sweat it, no everyone rides outdoors year round

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I fully appreciate year-round cycling isn't for everyone. I average 120 miles/week in winter and 180/200 in warmer weather. I'm out at least two days, usually three, a week. I've done 90 this week and will probably hit 130/140.

As I say it isn't for everyone but the right clothing solves most problems. I don't go if it's raining when I'm due to leave or in icy conditions.

As @YukonBoy says don't sweat it. Just personal choice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope. I actually like the cold. The old saying about 'there is no bad weather, just bad clothing choice'.

I have a couple of soft shell jackets that are windproof - both Aldi actually (as well as some posher ones). One top is great when it gets below 12c, the other from 2c and below. I only wear 1 base layer under them. Bib tights to keep the legs warm, and 'baggies' over the top when on the MTB.

You'd miss some of the best riding weather if you don't like cold. Some fantastic days mid winter when it's cold and frosty.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My partner hates the cold weather. She only cycles from April to end of August. then the bike gets put away.

It is pretty easy to dress for the milder days of winter. Depending on your riding style you can dress sporty or everyday casual.
For sporty, pop some leggings over your shorts, which are worn as underwear. Use a windproof and thin fleecy midlayer as required. Tune with neck buff, gloves and wool socks.
For the casual look I go for polycotton hiking trousers instead of leggings.

Carry a rainproof shell and woolly hat for emergencies.

Temp control is easier on cool mild days than in summer.

In the summer I would be out on my bike couple times a week. Now I can't be bothered to go out on my bike once a week. The cold weather is really off putting and I never know how to dress, while in the summer it would be cycling shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Does anyone else feel the same?
I'm much the same. I spend the time repairing/fettling/rebuilding the bikes instead. As I also do that out in the weather, it means I can usually just stop and go in for a cuppa.

Top Bottom