Carbon fork - for 1" threaded headset ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Old lugged 531 frame - rather nice quality, with of course a 1" threaded headset.
Anyone know of a carbon fork/with a threaded steerer that would suit ?
Or fork/aheadset combination that would fit a headtube originally designed for 1" threaded ?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Pete, my old Dawes frame has a BBB Turnaround headset, 1" threadless, I had the same headset on the Surly(larger of course) and bought another one for the Vaya, so you could say I've been happy with them. But you can get various makes of 1" threadless just depends on what you want to spend, the BBB one is around the £30 mark.

My 1" threadless forks are the Surly Xcheck ones so steel but I seem to remember seeing quite a few carbon options when looking, just not with the canti mounts I wanted. I think Kinesis do at least one option, alloy steerer and carbon blades. Other than that it's just a case of ploughing through the sites looking at what they've got, Easton do one as well i think.

aberal

Guru
Oddly, I have just started looking for the same thing as a replacement for my Cannondale which already has carbon forks but with a quill stem. Googling "carbon forks with 1" steerer" throws up a few results. I did come across a forum where someone said that 1" carbon forks need aluminium crowns otherwise they are prone to flex. From what I can see, most of those for sale have. What I'm not sure about is whether I will need a new headset and/or race. Gets complicated things like this!

avalon

Guru
I've got Ambrosio carbon forks with a 1" threaded steerer on my 531 Claud Butler. Got them from St. John Street Cycles in Bridgewater. That was a few years ago now but they may still stock them.

Michael.

Top Bottom