Carbon frame crumbling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
As someone else said it looks like cable rub has taken off the paint layers, more design than fault. They seem to be mostly rubber these days your look like it is hard plastic? In fact it looks like some is still stuck to the cable entry cap?

It is paint that cracked off and from the position of the chip, I can see that it happens when the steering is turned to the extreme left and the cable forced in its seat. It will happen with any frame, new or old. Just don't do it (the extreme steering thing) or experiment with longer cables.

Tynan

Veteran
a bike that you shouldn't turn to extremes or have to change the cables on to stop it damaging itself?

from previous stories about Halfords one might worry about them putting it together/doing heaven knows what to it

don't mean to be mean here but buying from Halfords rather than a decent LBS ....

I'd take it straight back too and want at least a new frame, given it's carbon and only six months, the law says two years for anything to demonstrate it's fit for purpose, you don;t spend £1300 on something bling to watch it gring bits of itself off in routine use

Halfords are the seller and they're responsible for dealing with Boardman, granted Boardman might be more likely to do something

Citius

from previous stories about Halfords one might worry about them putting it together/doing heaven knows what to it

don't mean to be mean here but buying from Halfords rather than a decent LBS ....

Halfords receive the bikes pre-built in boxes - same as any other bike shop or retailer. All they do is unbox it, fit the saddle/seatpost, straighten the bars, fit the pedals and front wheel - and then PDI it. I don't know why people think Halfords build these things from scratch.

Tynan

Veteran
I didn't say they did build it from scratch but from stories and seeing the calibre of their staff in my local Halfords on the very few occasions I've been in there, I'd bput absolutely nothing past them, just them being in the same room as a bike would frighten me

what of the stories from posters on here seeing people with forks back to front for instance anyway? And things get damaged in transit routinely, I can imagine them tweaking things. Not for me at all.

OP
OP
Brava210

Brava210

Über Member
I didn't say they did build it from scratch but from stories and seeing the calibre of their staff in my local Halfords on the very few occasions I've been in there, I'd bput absolutely nothing past them, just them being in the same room as a bike would frighten me

what of the stories from posters on here seeing people with forks back to front for instance anyway? And things get damaged in transit routinely, I can imagine them tweaking things. Not for me at all.

I've had bad experience with them My hybrid went in under warranty to have a new crank bolt fitted
They tightened it so much the crank wouldn't turn.........

OP
OP
Brava210

Brava210

Über Member
As someone else said it looks like cable rub has taken off the paint layers, more design than fault. They seem to be mostly rubber these days your look like it is hard plastic? In fact it looks like some is still stuck to the cable entry cap?

Yes it is hard plastic.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you do everything yourself, if they give you a new frame, you can always strip the old and build the new yourself. Should be a straight swap across

gbb

Legendary Member
Id be interested to know what material the insert is below the carbon, assuming it is a different material.
If corrosion has got in there, that would lift the carbon, same as happened on my Bianchi carbon forks /alloy steerer. Corrosion got into the brake nut recess and lifted the carbon off the surrounding area. Not catastrphic, more cosmetic.
It only took one winters worth of commuting, light use in salty conditions is enough.
Might not be the same...but equally it might be.

Top Bottom