Carbon frame crumbling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brava210

Brava210

Über Member
Id be interested to know what material the insert is below the carbon, assuming it is a different material.
If corrosion has got in there, that would lift the carbon, same as happened on my Bianchi carbon forks /alloy steerer. Corrosion got into the brake nut recess and lifted the carbon off the surrounding area. Not catastrphic, more cosmetic.
It only took one winters worth of commuting, light use in salty conditions is enough.
Might not be the same...but equally it might be.

So does the paint seal the carbon?
Meaning it's now exposed to the elements it could damage the carbon?

Thanks everybody

gbb

Legendary Member
Im not saying this IS whats happened, just theorising based on an experience of mine.
Where your cable enters the carbon frame, is there an insert made of another material in there, to add strength or resist wear on the carbon. If for instance that was alloy, its liable to corrosion if exposed to salt etc, that corrosion is like a white fluffy blister and as it swells its quite capable of lifting the carbon thats adhered to it.
Just theorising...paricually as its in an area where moisture may collect.

ayceejay

Guru
These are the attention to detail items that annoy me when there is none.
Wherever a cable touches a frame there will be wear and this should be protected.
Some manufacturers do this by design some bike shops do this on assembly some conscientious owners do it with frame patches, cable donuts etc.. Who s responsible when something like this (the OP's prob) happens?

ayceejay

Guru
I think you will find that is 33.33% Fred

Hulk_slogan

I recently had an interview and 'road test' at my local halfords store.. It was scary, and I knew about halfords reputation beforehand, but when I learnt how their staff are trained and or expected to learn how to do skilled aspects of the job, I walked away.

Its the company and management to blame. Typical retail cost cutting, and like all business the profits come first.
I feel sorry for the staff who may have a genuine interest in cycling/automotive stuff, but are left pretty much to their own devices. Maybe this is for another post though!

If I was you, go back to the store, take with you a bank statement showing you paid halfords that sum of money if you paid by plastic and cant find the reciept.

Tell them its unacceptable and potentially unsafe should the damage continue and you are concerned about the frame failing.
If they say its wear and tear, I would question this as its a 6 month old product and regardless if it is just aesthetic paint wear, it should last longer than 6 months before peeling.

I would also contact the manufacturer. You may be referred to them to do this yourself anyway by halfords, or you might get a nice member of management who will sort it for you.

One thing I can say for absolute certain is, halfords started a huge company wide campaign last summer because they were amongst the lowest rated for customer service. Had a huge amount of info about it at the interview ;)

Would be worth calling ahead and asking to meet directly with the manager with the bike.

Cyclist33

Halfords receive the bikes pre-built in boxes - same as any other bike shop or retailer. All they do is unbox it, fit the saddle/seatpost, straighten the bars, fit the pedals and front wheel - and then PDI it. I don't know why people think Halfords build these things from scratch.

Zactly, and.this is also what most local bike shops do with most of the bikes they retail.

Jason.T

I bought my boardman team carbon from halfords (a while ago now) after a few months I noticed a crack in the paintwork, pretty sure it was only the paint that had cracked and not the frame, anyway took it back and they swapped it for a brand new bike, didn't even quibble it

OP
OP
Brava210

Brava210

Über Member
I know its not the biggest problem.
Its a lovely bike and i dont see why i should treat it as a scratch when i didnt scratch it. I just would not want it to get worse . i will see what they say today

Gary

OP
OP
Brava210

Brava210

Über Member
I bought my boardman team carbon from halfords (a while ago now) after a few months I noticed a crack in the paintwork, pretty sure it was only the paint that had cracked and not the frame, anyway took it back and they swapped it for a brand new bike, didn't even quibble it

How big a crack was it?

Top Bottom