Carbon or aluminium fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
I am intrested in changing the standard steel fork to one of the above types. it has straight blades. How do I match one that will suit my bike ? and do you think would it be worth the cost and effort?

Somewhere

Formerly known as BimblingBee
Carbon unless you go out in the rain as it will melt.

Your call on if its worth it... May be a smoother ride though.

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Had a look on eBay . would be in the region of 70 stg..... Then have it fitted. Anyone have a link to a cheaper one. If not I may wait and get a s/h f and f or may upgrade the bike..... It weigh a ton as is ....and I'm extra !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Definitely carbon, it will transform your bike.

These will certainly have one that suits you: http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&t=2&

These are as good and as cheap as you can get. If that's too much, ask around your local bike shops because they often have "taken off" forks hanging around that they will sell cheap. TBH just changing from a steel to an alloy or carbon fork won't make much difference in the weight of the bike; you'd do better to look around for a good used lightweight bike.

I've got a 2006 Roubaix in 56 size that I will be selling soon for around £400. :whistle:

Somewhere

If you are looking to increase the performance of your bike then lighter wheels and tyres are the place to start. Plus you can transfer these if you decide to get a new bike.

Guess it depends on what bike you currently have and where you see yourself going...

Some good deals on Shimano wheels around at the moment at the same price as the fork you've mentioned.

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Ive looked on ebay and some available for about 75 euro. have also seen frame and fork set for about 200 euros. this is the bike I was thinking of getting it for

hlbc.jpg

I think the wheels are not to bad on since july 13, they were original wheels from my good bike. They are low spoke count so a lot lighter than the 32 spoked that were on it

Somewhere

Ok, so a carbon fork is probably a good option. Not sure I'd spend it on this bike but that's your call.

If you do go for it maybe cut the steerer tube a bit longer so you can resell or transfer over to another bike easier.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Tbh on the weight you'll save will be less than the crap you got bolted to the bike. If you want to lose weight overall lose the guards lights one bottle holder and get a smaller saddle bag, it'll save you more weight and money.

Wrong set up to be weight weeny-ing dude.

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Tbh on the weight you'll save will be less than the crap you got bolted to the bike. If you want to lose weight overall lose the guards lights one bottle holder and get a smaller saddle bag, it'll save you more weight and money.

Wrong set up to be weight weeny-ing dude.

not really intrested in the weight saving area as such. it is just an upgrade that could improve the bikes handling etc. The lights are all necessary as all my spins are on unlit country roads and the best investment I have every got was the sks mudguards.......everyone should have a set. Thanks for all the opinions, I will have a look online today......maybe from Taiwan/china if I can get a vfm one that is :rolleyes:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Genuine question, how will a set of cheap Chinese crabon forks improve the handling of a loaded bike? If anything it could go wrong if you don't get the rake, length right?

Edited: rake and offset are the same thing so got rid of offset.

Last edited:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
From bikeradar editors who know more than me...

The best carbon composite forks (often just called 'carbon forks' as shorthand) available today are on average one third the weight of a steel fork and around half that of a bonded aluminium fork. It's therefore no wonder that an ever-increasing proportion of the forks you see, both on production bikes and in the aftermarket, are made from carbon. Fitting a carbon fork will have less of an effect on your bike's performance than, say, fitting lighter wheels.

Top Bottom