Carradice bags mounting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm looking at getting some light stuff off my back whilst commuting and for use on light day trips.

I'm looking at the Carradice Pendle but i'm not sure on the mounting options.

Would it be best mounted using the bagman or the SQR system?
I like the look of the SQR System, it looks better to me. but is the bagman system more stable?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
nope sqr rock solid. do you not have saddle loops?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
bagman lighter and very good. the frame can be removed if you don't have enough saddle height. downside is that the post strap has to be done up and undone when removing / replacing. takes about 10 seconds. i don't bother on my brompton but i never stand up to climb so sway is not a problem. i had sqr on my mtb till i bailed and broke it.

AlanW

Guru
Go for the Barleyman, as opposed to the Pendle its that little bit smaller and more compact and perfect for day rides.

I have both models, and much prefer the Barleyman to the Pendle.

As for the mounts, go for the Q/R Bagman Sport. Brilliant, if rather an expensive piece of kit for what it is. And yes the Q/R version is a bit more expensive again, but its worth that little bit more. It takes seconds to whip your saddle bag on and off thanks to the springs loaded clips on either side.

BUT....one thing to be aware of, the saddle bag will wear where it sits on the two stainless steel rails. I have posted a picture on here somewhere showing how its worn a hole in mine?

EDIT

Found it!

But the way round that is to zip tie a small piece of plastic to the rails so that the bag sits on a sort of shelf. I did have the plastic sheet on the inside, but its has still worn a hole in the bag. ;)

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
that's why i took the support frame off. i also used the straps long so the qr pins don't rub the top off the bag. the brompton has a very long exposed seat pin so it causes no problems. however if you don't have so much clearance to the wheel / mudguard then you will need the support frame. or better still the sqr system lifts it above the seat height if necessary.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
SQR with Barley and with Camper Longflap and it works a treat.
Beauty is that you can have a mounting block on each bike and simply transfer the bag and frame from bike to bike.
With a fully loaded big saddle-bag like the Camper I also stabalise the whole rig with a bungee around the seat-post and under the bag to the seat rails. A big saddle bag tends to move about when honking up a big hill regardless of the support.
With the Barley it's never needed.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
AlanW said:
Go for the Barleyman, as opposed to the Pendle its that little bit smaller and more compact and perfect for day rides.

How much can you fit in the barley comfortably?
I will be looking at using it daily with a shirt, socks and underwear, with the need for some space incase i need to carry extra clothing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
not a lot tbh. it's about 7l off memory. i think it would be ok as a summer day bag.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
mine did sway occasionally but i put that down to me mtbing and having too much weight in. i had the waterproof mtb sack on it. when i crashed the steel band gashed my leg badly when the sqr snapped off.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
If your bike can take one then a rack is surprisingly close in weight to the Carradice fittings. If you then take into account how heavy the Carradice bags themselves are, then it's not a lighter option. I looked closely in to all of this and ended up putting racks back on all my bikes.

Though I appreciate that a rack itself is aesthetically unpleasing to some.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
MacB said:
If your bike can take one then a rack is surprisingly close in weight to the Carradice fittings. If you then take into account how heavy the Carradice bags themselves are, then it's not a lighter option. I looked closely in to all of this and ended up putting racks back on all my bikes.

Though I appreciate that a rack itself is aesthetically unpleasing to some.

And when he says 'closely' we're talking Excel spreadsheets :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
threebikesmcginty said:
And when he says 'closely' we're talking Excel spreadsheets :becool:

only at the end once I'd amassed all the info, otherwise how can one compare properly:biggrin:

I do actually have a spreadsheet that lists all the bike kit I've bought or researched. Gives general info including compatibility, weight and cost:blush:

Noodley

Nowt wrong with that MacB.

Proper planning is important. How else would we be able to impart our wisdom to those who have a shoddy outlook to such matters? :becool:

Top Bottom