Carrera TDF road bike: rubbish or worth being a first road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
From Halfords comes the £219 Carrera TDF.

Is this worth a look in as a first road bike? Not sure what to make of the 'small geometry' frame either...

Really can't afford any more than that, so it's either consider this or consider nothing, but I have a hybrid so it's not essential. I want to 'try out' road bikes.

What youse think? :tongue: :biggrin: :angry: :sad:

I have had one for 3 weeks have done over 250 miles on it and it seems excellent vfm.
Its not a particularly strange geometry for a modern racer.
The forks are a bit crap and the brakes are not especially effective in heavy rain other than that it is a great fast bike.
By the way, I dont just ride cheapies: I have high end Marin, Scott and Specialized bikes as well, so I am not just talking from the perspective of someone who only knows Halfords level machinery...
I suspect it weighs a couple of pounds more than a £500 racer, but what do you expect for £200?
So far no buckles, no loose spokes, no mechanical failures, I have ridden it to work and back every day since I got it.
I will probably upgrade the plastic rattraps to spd clip ons and the crap steel forks to cheap carbon ones then it will be a great budget machine.
The drivetrain is Sunrace, but it looks like it is as good as Sora/Tiagra level stuff by Shimano found on more expensive bikes.
Ride is very harsh but I expect that is the case of any aluminium racer on tyres with 100 psi or greater pressure.
I would say its worth getting.

cillianowen

Hi i was wondering can someone tell me what kind of rear hub is on this bike?
I am mainly wondering does it require a screw on cassette or does it have a free wheel hub on it?

Top Bottom