cars your parents drove when you were a kid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Elmer Fudd said:
Yeah, but if you lived in London it'd cost ya £2 from picallili to trafalgar square!

Just to clarify the London bus fares; if you are paying in cash, one journey costs £2!! But if you have a pre paid Oyster card, a single journey will only cost 90p.

We never had a car when I was growing up in London so we walked or took public transport.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My Bezzy pals Pater owned one of these ford beasties, he had it years
2339783817_803d095d6d_o.jpg

I was dead jealous even though my Pater had bought the brand new Toyota Corona of the time. Which, incidentally, had the windscreen smashed, had to wait 3 MONTHS for a replacement ! Think they ran from Japan with it !

mr Mag00

rising member
i remember vauxhall viva, ford cortinas of various shape and size, and i too would sleep in the hatchback area and have been known to sit between to front seats when i was vv young

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My Dad's first car was a 1939 Morris 8 he bought for £20 in 1963, which he drove to Italy with Mum and us 4 kids. My youngest sster travelled the whole way sitting on a cushion on the handbrake. Happy days!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Austin 1300
Hillman Avenger
Some awful Vauxhall VX thing with an automatic choke that flooded every day if it didn't start straight away and needed an hour's wait before you could try starting it again.
Talbot Horizon
Talbot Solara
Ford Sierra

then I married and left home

since then they've had another Sierra and two Citroen Xantias.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
You poor. poor people - you had a Dad that drove a car? Our family had three full time chauffeurs and one part time one! The full time ones came from St Helens Corporation Transport, Liverpool Corporation Transport, and Crosville Motor Services - the part time one was from The Ribble Bus Company.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All the usual Morrises, Hillmans etc. but then my Dad got one of the first BMW 2002s imported into the country. At that time they were unknown; it was searingly fast and nobody knew what it was, so the traffic light grand prix was great fun for a 14 year-old passenger. That said it had a rubbish heating and ventilation system, the seats were hard, it had to have a new flywheel after a few months and the wings rusted through in about two years.

U

User482

Rover SD1. Very cool, but broke down a lot and the sunroof leaked.
Ford Cortina. I locked him out of it once, and he broke back in with a coat hanger.
Volvo 740. Styling inspired by a housebrick.

Mum had an early '70s Mini clubman.

gbb

Legendary Member
The earliest one i remember was a Triumph Mayflower :biggrin::ohmy: looked like a short hearse :biggrin:
Vauxhall Velox was my favourite...he also had a Victor.

peekay76

When I was a baby my dad had an Austin A35 van
When I was at primary school my dad had an Austin A35 van
When I was at secondary school my dad had an Austin A35 van and an Austin A35 saloon
When I was at university my dad had an Austin A35 van and an Austin A35 saloon
University seems a long time ago now and my dad still has an Austin A35 van and an Austin A35 saloon. I think my dad must be one of the few people who has retired but still owns his first ever car.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I think we had a Ford Cortena, but i was young and cant really remember it.
That was traided for a Vauxhall Cavalier, not the new one, the older style. That was stolen, the thieves broke the window when the doors were unlocked :biggrin: and thrashed it around in 1st and 2nd which wrecked the engine.
We had a Volvo 440 as well as the Cavalier. It had no power steering and heavy pedals and my mum who is very small drove it with the seat right forward. Was good to see her turn the wheel when she needed to turn it around.
A VW Polo with square lights when the Cavalier was stolen, which was the run about.
The Polo was traded in for a New Pegeot 206.
Then the Volvo was traded in a couple of years ago for a Skoda Superb.
They are the ones i remember. But my mum had an old Mini, which went into the garage and someone tried to nick the foglight on it. The handbrake was left on and the brake seized, so that went.
My dad had a few Cortinas, and a Hilmen Superminx i think, and i cant remember the other one he had.
Oh, before the volvo we had an old Ford Fiesta with no seat belts in the back so we used to jump around :biggrin:. It kept cutting out and failed the MOT so it was got rid.

Cars I didn't drive:-

Morris minor traveller
Austin Cambridge
Hillman Hunter
Avenger
Several Triumph heralds
Cortina Mk1
Austin Maxi :biggrin:
Hillman imp
Austin Healey Sprite (got turned into a never finished project)

Finally at 17:-
Rover 2000 (car park learning to drive)
Hillman imp california (fast 'till the head went)
Commer caravenette with bench seats (:biggrin: cracking)
another traveller
renault 12

Then I bought a 1957 Morris Minor. It died :biggrin: and I inherited the Renault 12 which I got through numerous MOT's with the aid of a large sheet of metal and a welding torch.
then I had:-
Renault 11
Fiat Uno & Austin Maestro
Then a bunch of company cars and now a Subaru Forester

I don't think I've forgotten anything :biggrin: except the motorbikes!

Top Bottom