cars your parents drove when you were a kid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

Elmer Fudd said:
My Bezzy pals Pater owned one of these ford beasties, he had it years
2339783817_803d095d6d_o.jpg

I was dead jealous even though my Pater had bought the brand new Toyota Corona of the time. Which, incidentally, had the windscreen smashed, had to wait 3 MONTHS for a replacement ! Think they ran from Japan with it !

mk1 Zodiac?
or is it a consul?

wafflycat

Ooooh...

What I remember:-

Triumph Herald
Triumph Toledo
Hillman Imp
Austin Allegro (I think it was one of those as opposed to a Maxi)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Not that interesting. Similar to Maz, in Sheffield I was rarely driven anywhere and used the cheap buses in Sheffield. My mother was given a lifetime ban for driving in anycase. Nevertheless:-

Austin Metro
Austin Metro
Peugeot 205

mondobongo

Über Member
We had various sheds and rustbuckets, of which I remember.

Hillman Imp (went all the way from Liverpool to Hastings and back for a family holiday in that)
Ford Anglia
Various Vauxhalls
A Princess
Saab Estate with dickie seat
Sabb salloon poss 95

My overriding memory is when he bought a Commer Van and he offered to take me on a test ride the next day. All excited gets into the van my Dad starts it up reaches down to take off the handbrake and the entire handbrake came away in his hand can still see it now it was like something in a sitcom.

simonali

Guru
Some I remember:-

Mk2 Cortina E reg beige
Mk3 Cortina 2000GT L reg yellow
VW Beetle J reg white (me and bruv used to sit in that bit behind the rear seats!)
Triumph 2000 N reg brown-ish?
Volvo 245 Estate S reg green
BMW 520 V reg gold
Nuvver Volvo, a 240GLT estate in silver, poss A reg?

After that I was about 18 so not a kid anymore (some might say).

stevenb

Not many....as my Dad was a biker....but I can remember:

Triumph 2000
Volvo 240DL
Cortina mk3

Now if you asked what cars I've driven in my 12 years of motoring we'd be here all night...:biggrin:

The cars my folks had I remember most from I was a kid was -
an Austin Maxi, it was a dark purple with red vinyl seats. Then there was Mark3 Cortina which was gold with a brown vinyl roof:ohmy: This was the first in a long line of Fords right up to the present as they now have a nice silver Fiesta

simonali

Guru
stevenb said:
Not many....as my Dad was a biker....but I can remember:

Triumph 2000
Volvo 240DL
Cortina mk3

Now if you asked what cars I've driven in my 12 years of motoring we'd be here all night...:biggrin:

All 3 of those are in my list. Give us a few of your cars and we can see if I can match any of those as well.

Coincidentally, I''ve been driving around 12 years too!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
User482 said:
Rover SD1. Very cool, but broke down a lot and the sunroof leaked.
My Dad had one of those, which also broke down a lot and had a leaky sunroof...it was a silver 2600 - I still love the shape of them.

Before that he had a metallic emerald green Ford Granada, which replaced our white Ford Cortina.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
theres alot of crappy old cars here,especially the Leyland ones! but i cant believe none of our parents had a moris minor!!!! I thought that would be one of the more popular models

redcogs

Guru
Dad's first motor was a blue Austin A35 van. It was lovely, and it gives me great joy to see them today. Dad was a psychiatric nurse in Cornwall, and we lived in a remote village, so no buses. The car was therefore essential, but we couldn't really afford it (1961).

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Vauxhall Victor Estates in FA, FB and FC101 forms
Simca 1500 estate in tomato red (I can still remember the reg - GBN 611D)
another Victor, this time FD series
Hillman Hunter,
Ford Granada

Top Bottom