Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been watching this with interest and I'm intrigued about folk like me who don't live in Britain, but are popping across for a visit. I presume I can still pay with a debit card, but using a smartphone to pay for stuff will not work, even if I knew exactly how it works.

Most of the UK is now cashless with either cards (credit/debit) or phone payments.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given the number of people using smartphones and watches, I'm starting to feel like a Luddite with my debit card.

At least I've grasped contactless.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just listening to a radio phone in.
The guy was saying that he enjoys the theatre.
He has received a message to say......
1. The theatre is now completely cash free
2. He must order tickets on line.
3. He must show the downloaded tickets
on his smart phone OR print them off.
Problem being he doesn't have a smart phone or a printer.

This problem must be duplicated many times.

Yes, this is becoming an increasing problem.

Among my circle of friends and relations, there are a significant proportion who do not "do" all of this "online" stuff.

In our local ASDA they recently reduced the number of "manned" checkouts and increased the number of "Scan and Go" or Self Scan check-outs. We shop early (07:30) to avoid crowds, and, at that time, there is typically only one "manned" checkout operating. For several weeks there was chaos at the "automated" area, with customers unable to operate the technology.

Personally, I like the technology, and can use it, but, at 74, it does occur to me that this adaptability may not continue for ever, then what? Is it a new form of euthanasia, ie starvation because you are unable to use the latest self service till? ;)

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Back in 1981 (at the age of 11 :ohmy: ) I did a talk to Barclays Bank senior managers about the future of a cashless society in 25 years' time whereby all our transactions were via one card. It was part of a public speaking challenge.

I was about 15 years out but we're seeing it come in. The 'one card' bit was patented in 1969 but hasn't come into circulation.

Oh, and I came 2nd. They weren't sure it would happen.

classic33

Leg End Member
Used contactless last year, more to help the shop staff where possible. However reverted to cash as soon as possible.

Cards have a £10 contactless limit, which has made it awkward for some places who insist I use contactless and not to place the card in the machine.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've no probem with certain places being cashless; I always have my card on me but rarely any cash. Online only is taking it a bit far though. Quite a few times before Covid, we had to book online and show the ticket on our phone. Well that's fine but haf the time it didn't work. I remember doing this for the Cinema to avoid queues, and when we got there everyone who had done the "click and collect" type booking, had to go to the kiosk anyway because there was a problem. And you had to pay a £2 booking fee.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Cards have a £10 contactless limit
I thought they were always £30 and then raised to £45 when Covid started?
Edit: Beaten to it. I've often used contactless for something thats' only a quid or two

Alex321

Veteran
I've been watching this with interest and I'm intrigued about folk like me who don't live in Britain, but are popping across for a visit. I presume I can still pay with a debit card, but using a smartphone to pay for stuff will not work, even if I knew exactly how it works.

Not sure why using a smartphone wouldn't work, but yes you can use your debit or credit card to pay in almost every place in the UK now.

And most of them do (and prefer) contactless, for which your phone should work just fine, unless yours won't let you download any of the apps that can be used (there are a few, depending on whether it is iPhone or Android and which brand), due to your location.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Used contactless last year, more to help the shop staff where possible. However reverted to cash as soon as possible.

Cards have a £10 contactless limit, which has made it awkward for some places who insist I use contactless and not to place the card in the machine.

I think you will find this has been increased significantly. At first, it increased to £30, then, it increased again, not sure what the current limit is, but, around £50 I think. I just try contactless every time, no matter the amount, and, put card in machine if "told" to do so, by the machine. I find that pretending the machines are all female makes following orders second nature ;)

Alex321

Veteran

The limit was only £10 for the first year or two. It soon went up to £30, and has been £45 in most places for several months now.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I think you will find this has been increased significantly. At first, it increased to £30, then, it increased again, not sure what the current limit is, but, around £50 I think. I just try contactless every time, no matter the amount, and, put card in machine if "told" to do so, by the machine. I find that pretending the machines are all female makes following orders second nature ;)
Lol. I think every so often if you've used your card a fair bit, it asks you to put it in and use the pin just as a bit of extra security.

Top Bottom