Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
if you've used your card a fair bit, it asks you to put it in and use the pin just as a bit of extra security.

A point I was about to make.

Seems to me limits vary a little depending on the retailer.

Most companies are aware there are challenges with a segment of society when it comes to cashless transaction but they have little choice. Cashless transactions means speed and convenience. You also don't need human labour to count, reconcile and transport cash. There is also less leakage and fraud. So cash has a cost component.

Best advice is to get someone in the family or your bank branch staff to hook up one of your account to a card and then to a phone. Now days all bank cards are contactless.

ApplePay and Samung Pay also provides privacy and security. Your name, cards details do not cross over to the merchant and therefore the merchants or staff cannot do unauthorised transactions.

Even if someone pinches your phone, they cannot use it as it needs face recognition or fingerprint to authorise the transaction.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will only ever use cash. I have no desire or intent to do it on line now or ever.
You may not have that choice in a few years.
I am sure that governments would LOVE cash to go. That way they can easily keep track of who is doing what.

It would be great for reducing tax evasion, money laundering, and robberies.

It could be pretty sinister in other ways though... "Mister Smith, you must explain why you bought a copy of the illegal book The Party Is NOT always right!"

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Quite a few businesses around here tried to go card only when the pandemic started but very quickly reverted back to accepting cash when they lost all their customers. The majority as far as I see are still using cash in the shops.

My local petrol station had a revamp and went completely automated. If I pay by card I get charged a €2 transaction fee so I feed it bank notes and save having to pay the fee.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I use both cash and card (contactless or pin) depending on my mood, but keep a fiver in my phone case as emergency money.

And, the new notes can always be used as a boot in a tyre in you get a rip in the wall!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Wor
I am sure that governments would LOVE cash to go. That way they can easily keep track of who is doing what.

It would be great for reducing tax evasion, money laundering, and robberies.

It could be pretty sinister in other ways though... "Mister Smith, you must explain why you bought a copy of the illegal book The Party Is not ALWAYS right!"
That is a major concern but also working with vulnerable people means they have little or no control over their finances if they haven't the means or capacity to understand the tech.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Not sure why using a smartphone wouldn't work, but yes you can use your debit or credit card to pay in almost every place in the UK now.

And most of them do (and prefer) contactless, for which your phone should work just fine, unless yours won't let you download any of the apps that can be used (there are a few, depending on whether it is iPhone or Android and which brand), due to your location.

This is the nub of the issue for me. Living in Germany, I honestly have no clue which apps you need on a smartphone in order to initiate smart payment and I seriously doubt I would be able to download them any way because of the fact my phone uses the German app store. I'm no longer eligible to have a British bank account and my German bank doesn't use contactless payment as far as I'm aware, so ultimately the use of a phone for contactless payment is closed to me for the time being. I just wonder about all of the overseas tourists coming to Britain and wether this is an issue or not.

Another thing that has occurred to me is the fact that I may well be charged for all of my transactions using a card and stung for the exchange rate. In the past it has always been cheaper and easier to withdraw a chunk of cash and just use that, with that avenue potentially closed and the smart phone avenue unavailable, visiting Britain could well have got a heck of a lot more expensive.

Please note the above paragraph is all complete conjecture and thinking aloud from me, I'm intrigued now to find out if the above is indeed the case.

Top Bottom