Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is the nub of the issue for me. Living in Germany, I honestly have no clue which apps you need on a smartphone in order to initiate smart payment and I seriously doubt I would be able to download them any way because of the fact my phone uses the German app store. I'm no longer eligible to have a British bank account and my German bank doesn't use contactless payment as far as I'm aware, so ultimately the use of a phone for contactless payment is closed to me for the time being. I just wonder about all of the overseas tourists coming to Britain and wether this is an issue or not.

Another thing that has occurred to me is the fact that I may well be charged for all of my transactions using a card and stung for the exchange rate. In the past it has always been cheaper and easier to withdraw a chunk of cash and just use that, with that avenue potentially closed and the smart phone avenue unavailable, visiting Britain could well have got a heck of a lot more expensive.

Please note the above paragraph is all complete conjecture and thinking aloud from me, I'm intrigued now to find out if the above is indeed the case.
No difference really between how it works in both countries (or any EU country really).
If you have a fairly recent debit/ credit card you can use it contactless (which you should be able to try out in any German supermarket - even my 85yo mom worked it out so it's definitively not rocket surgery). Same system as in the UK so if the card works there it'll work here.

You can 'load' your card details onto your mobile and then use it to pay contactless, assuming the phone isn't really old (>5y) and supports NFC. On Android you can use Google Pay ,on iOS use Wallet (same app in all countries). Enter card details once, then pay holding phone to till card reader. Again this works the same in both countries so you can try before you come to the UK. I've loaded both my UK and German cards which is very convenient when travelling back and forth regularly and not having to carry the cards for both countries.

Like you say the main problem could be exchange fees when paying abroad. Doesn't really matter if it's mobile/card/contactless though - the fees would always be the same.
Depends on your bank/ credit card terms I guess. If you have to pay a fee for each transaction then paying by card for small purchases could get expensive. I've never had a card where that was the case, but best check first. If you do have to pay a fee then yes taking out a bunch of cash like in the olden days would be cheapest and to be honest I've not come across any places in the UK that refused cash - so it's not a huge problem (yet at least).
Alternatively, get another credit card with better FX terms if you're travelling more frequently - as they are usually free it won't cost you anything. Best done on-line though your average German high-street banks mostly have pretty bad deals. Last time I looked was a few years ago, but DKB had a pretty good on-line only account + credit card with no FX fees. For frequent travellers a Fintech like Revolut has a few perks (those are probably the future - mobile only and you have to actively apply to get a physical card!)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I do not carry cash. I have not carried it for years. I do not find it to be a problem.

classic33

Leg End Member
Right so it isn't "cards" that have the £10 limit, it is your personal one, and by your own choice.
A debit/credit cards contactless limit is now £45 if you are dabbing the actual card on the machine. If you are using Apple Pay / Android Pay on your phone or watch I believe there is no upper limit. My biggest purchase using my watch was £2500 :ohmy: - that was strange but allegedly it's a lot safer than chip and pin!

TBH the olds need to get with the programme - they all have bank accounts now - just get dabbing that card!!! :whistle:
Contactless payment limit was increased to £100 earlier this year.
£90 was spent on booze when I had the cards stolen*. £300 taken isn't something I can afford should they be taken again.

*"Mate" was seen going through my pockets when the ambulance pulled up.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks @alpine fenlander and @mistyoptic , that makes more sense to me now. At the moment I'm using a 5 year old phone without NFC tech, so I've not really had a look at this, but you're explanations make a lot of sense. It sounds like when the time comes and I replace it, then there be no issues at all, either here or on my travels.

I do actually have a debit card that supports contactless, I only use it from time to time, so it didn't register with me that it was contactless:blush:.

The only concern is around possible transaction fees, brought about by a recent large political upheaval, which I'll look into. So all in all, looks like my concerns are groundless.

Alex321

Veteran
This is the nub of the issue for me. Living in Germany, I honestly have no clue which apps you need on a smartphone in order to initiate smart payment and I seriously doubt I would be able to download them any way because of the fact my phone uses the German app store. I'm no longer eligible to have a British bank account and my German bank doesn't use contactless payment as far as I'm aware, so ultimately the use of a phone for contactless payment is closed to me for the time being. I just wonder about all of the overseas tourists coming to Britain and wether this is an issue or not.
It is unlikely your bank doesn't allow contactless, although it may be that your card doesn't if it is a year or two old.

If your card has the appropriate symbol on it (looks a lot like the WiFi symbol on its side), then your card is enabled for contactless.

So far as the apps go, if you have an Android phone, the Google Pay app will be usable, if an iPhone, the Apple Pay app. Other apps may be available depending on the model of your phone (Samsung have their own app for instance).

Another thing that has occurred to me is the fact that I may well be charged for all of my transactions using a card and stung for the exchange rate. In the past it has always been cheaper and easier to withdraw a chunk of cash and just use that, with that avenue potentially closed and the smart phone avenue unavailable, visiting Britain could well have got a heck of a lot more expensive.
This is certainly possible, after Brexit. Pre-Brexit, there were agreements in place meaning that foreign currency fees didn't apply to transactions within Europe (though exchange rate could still vary). I'm not sure if those agreements are still effective currently.

But at the moment almost all retailers have notices saying card payments preferred, or even contactless preferred.

They will usually still take cash, but definitely prefer not to.

Please note the above paragraph is all complete conjecture and thinking aloud from me, I'm intrigued now to find out if the above is indeed the case.

Some probably is, some isn't.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Most companies are aware there are challenges with a segment of society when it comes to cashless transaction but they have little choice. Cashless transactions means speed and convenience. You also don't need human labour to count, reconcile and transport cash. There is also less leakage and fraud. So cash has a cost component.

Best advice is to get someone in the family or your bank branch staff to hook up one of your account to a card and then to a phone. Now days all bank cards are contactless.

ApplePay and Samung Pay also provides privacy and security. Your name, cards details do not cross over to the merchant and therefore the merchants or staff cannot do unauthorised transactions.

Even if someone pinches your phone, they cannot use it as it needs face recognition or fingerprint to authorise the transaction.

Google Pay here and it is brilliant - quite some time now since I have used cash.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've tried lighting my cigars with a smart phone but they taste a bit funny. Cash is better.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A debit/credit cards contactless limit is now £45 if you are dabbing the actual card on the machine. If you are using Apple Pay / Android Pay on your phone or watch I believe there is no upper limit. My biggest purchase using my watch was £2500 :ohmy: - that was strange but allegedly it's a lot safer than chip and pin!

TBH the olds need to get with the programmees - they all have bank accounts now - just get dabbing that card!!! :whistle:

Yes, no upper limit although some shops etc may have their own limits.

No idea how old you are but we are 64 (me) and 58 (she) and we and most of our friends use xyzPay system these days - are we 'olds'?

Hate that 'olds' phrase btw.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's all a bit weird. I have a Lloyds card and a Tesco CC. About a year ago, neither card company supported samsung pay or google pay. It's only today that I have registered my Lloyds one on my newer phone (Google pay) and it has worked. I haven't physically tried it out yet, but thought it might be handy if I only have my phone on me and not my card.

There is a cycnical/conspiracy theory side of me that thinks if we went all digital then we'd have no choice but to pay the extra booking fees/using-it-on-a-monday charges and whateveer else the banks or retailers want to stick on in future. We'd have to pay what was demanded or go without. I can see it happening in places like busy car parks/cinemas etc where they know damn well that you're not going to forfeit your night out or your ticket by refusing to park, so patrons will cough up. They have been doing this with cash machines for quite some time. For example in my local cinema/bar complex, there is a cash machine that charges £2.80 per withdrawal!

si_c

Guru
Alternatively, get another credit card with better FX terms if you're travelling more frequently - as they are usually free it won't cost you anything. Best done on-line though your average German high-street banks mostly have pretty bad deals. Last time I looked was a few years ago, but DKB had a pretty good on-line only account + credit card with no FX fees. For frequent travellers a Fintech like Revolut has a few perks (those are probably the future - mobile only and you have to actively apply to get a physical card!)

You can use Revolut easily enough with Google Pay - I loaded a virtual card into it and so can pay contactless abroad with excellent conversion rates. You can swap the default card out quickly too so when travelling you use the card appropriate for the country you are in.

Top Bottom