Cassette wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was adjusting my gears today in my new stand (thanks to wiggle and those on here), and it was definately easier.

However I noticed that when I stopped turning the pedals but that the wheel was still spinning, that the cassette sort of wobbles as if it doesn't sit correctly. Not by very much. I don't think it feels loose. The wheels are new (less than a month old), but the cassette is old. The wheels were replaced by the bike shop.

Any ideas?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
If its causing no gear change or other problems, why worry?

gkerr4

hmm - i have noticed that mine do too - or at least they appear to

I think it is the tooth profile making it look like it is moving very very slightly - could this be the case?

it is a tiny movement..

stevenb

I'd say its the teeth profile making it look like that. Get up close to the cassette and examine it from both sides, back and the front. You'll notice any wobbles then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Note..stopped spinning the pedals - so sprockets not spinning also - spindle / freehub issue. My LX hubs do that, but they are old, and it's only a little - no issues on my Aksiums or Ksyriums !

Don't get too worried about it - what wheels are they ?

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its definately not the profile of the teeth, as I watched it at either end of the cassette near the spindle/freehub.

Wheels are basic shinamo ones AFAIK as I'm about to get a new bike hopefully then this becomes my 2nd bike. Only then I'm going to have a go at changing the chain and cassette/deraillier which is worn. I've not got much confidence in my abilities, and I can't afford to be without the bike if I muck it up. My technical level is very low, I've only just changed my brake blocks myself.

stevenb

They do sometimes have a wobble on less expensive wheels.
My Felt had a tiny wobble on the cassette with my WH-500 wheels....but the indexing of the gears was not at all affected and the hub/freehub spun perfectly and quietly.
Just keep an eye on it.
You'll know when it becomes a problem as the teeth will wear quicker and your gears won't change to easily (although check the cables 1st before assuming its the cassette/freehub/axle).

rustychisel

No, utterly incorrect. Some teeth are profiled (look chipped when seen from the side) to assist in changing gears, but the cassette should not wobble. Usually means - as suggested - bent axle or loose cassette on the freehub. Check and tighten. It's not major, but it usually indicates something wrong.

PrettyboyTim

Spandex says some freehubs are designed to wobble, rustychisel says they aren't.

Who to believe?

(My freehub has a wobble as well - but it is a cheap bike)

frog

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

To assist gear changes some of the teeth are thinner that others and have little cut outs on their sides. This doesn't affect their wobble, it just makes the chain able to move sideways on the sprocket which increases it's ability to deflect onto the next one up or down.

My guess it is the thread cut on the hub which is done badly. If there is no side-to-side play in the cassette then it's bearings are fine.

Zoiders

My guess is that it is not a cassette but a screw on freehub

And yes, all but the most prestine and unused of screw ons will develop a wobble sooner or later

Seen dozens like that

Top Bottom