Category F tractor driving test?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I test drove a new-ish one with Mrs McG last year, the wing mirror fell off while we were driving it. We didn't buy one.

I had one of the original ones back in the 80's as a company car, got stopped for speeding by plod within an hour, I was doing 40 in a 30, the copper said "I didn't know these things could got that fast" ! Cheecky sod. Bloody horrid car it was, it had deck chair type seats, no feckin radio either.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
we have a tractor but just not road legal and it's not worth getting it road legal for this one use. but my tractor licence will be for driving local farmers that i work for so i can drive their tractors about and do more of the tractor driving during hay season and for when i start my apprenticeship in september on a local dairy farm.

Sound plan.

I grew up on a farm and started driving tractors when I was about 11-years-old, no doubt you've done the same.

The vehicle handling skills I learned then, particularly reversing, stood me in good stead for driving a car when the time came.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran

not actually a bad song!
Sound plan.

I grew up on a farm and started driving tractors when I was about 11-years-old, no doubt you've done the same.

The vehicle handling skills I learned then, particularly reversing, stood me in good stead for driving a car when the time came.
yup, been driving most things since i was about 10 or 11. i still love it when dad hires a digger for something :smile: already racked up a fair few hours in a tractor seat :smile:
Cheers Ed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
yup, been driving most things since i was about 10 or 11. i still love it when dad hires a digger for something :smile: already racked up a fair few hours in a tractor seat :smile:

First tractor I drove was a grey Fergie, it was old even then.

They've stood the test of time, many are still in light use today, 60-odd years after they were made.
images-2.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I dabbled with tractors, Massey Ferguson were the best. Rear tyre maintenance was easy, and eminently manouverable. Could be turned on a sixpence I felt, and didn't need too much elaborate garaging.
Probably got a pic. of it somewhere...Yes - with my great-grandfather Giles McGinty III at the wheel...

Corgi+Toy+1.jpg

My lot weren't keen on Massey Fergusons, only because they were quite a light tractor.

For example, that bucket in your pic would have tipped the Massey forwards, unless there was a lot of ballast weight on the rear towbar.

The Fordsons and then Fords of the time were heavier.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
First tractor I drove was a grey Fergie, it was old even then.

They've stood the test of time, many are still in light use today, 60-odd years after they were made.
View attachment 76144
i will have an old grey fergie/ ferguson T-20 in the collection one day :smile: bomb proof an just keep going like the massey 135's. the dairy farm i'm hoping to get an apprenticeship on has a 135 for the scraper tractor :smile:
i will have one of each of these one day :biggrin:
IMG_0784.jpg

MF-135-tractor.jpg

or with a cab
mf135tk1.jpg

Cheers Ed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nice pics.

I better hadn't start on grey Fergies, dual fuel and tractor vaporising oil or we will be here all day.

You will learn about that when you get one, unless you know already.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
already know the basics and i expect once i get one i will be able to do that lot blind folded soon enough!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
start on TVO then switch to petrol for running and back to TVO just before you kill engine...... there's a LOT more than that though
Cheers Ed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
start on TVO then switch to petrol for running and back to TVO just before you kill engine...... there's a LOT more than that though
Cheers Ed

Mmm, I think you'll find it's the other way around.

Start on petrol because it's a struggle to get thing going on TVO, but then switch to TVO because it's much cheaper than petrol.

There are also alternatives to TVO, which is hard to get now.

I think we used paraffin, but you had better check that, it might have been paraffin with a drop of something else in.

Some of the Fergies were diesel, which simplifies matters.

Top Bottom