Category F tractor driving test?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
yup, sorry i'm getting my words mixed up today :sad: too tired i think!
Cheers Ed

No worries.

Sometimes I would forget to switch back to petrol before stopping.

Not the end of the world, because it's easy enough to drain the TVO from the little glass fuel filter at the side of the engine.

Only trouble was I would get a ticking off from the farmer for wasting half a cup of fuel.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
No worries.

Sometimes I would forget to switch back to petrol before stopping.

Not the end of the world, because it's easy enough to drain the TVO from the little glass fuel filter at the side of the engine.

Only trouble was I would get a ticking off from the farmer for wasting half a cup of fuel.
put it back into tank :smile:
Cheers Ed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
put it back into tank :smile:
Cheers Ed

Spoken like a proper farmer.

I can't recall, but we might have caught the drained fuel in a cup and done just that.

I think some of the guys who have a Fergie for show don't bother changing fuel.

Not worth the saving if they only chug on and off a trailer and on and off a show field.

Mattonsea

Über Member
Yep I have a lad who works for me who has done the test, he found it easy so you should be fine ! Do you have to do a proficiency test as well.Usualy on a driving lot at an Agricultural college . I can give you some work experience on my Dairy farm for a week or two ! If your after more ?

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Yep I have a lad who works for me who has done the test, he found it easy so you should be fine ! Do you have to do a proficiency test as well.Usualy on a driving lot at an Agricultural college . I can give you some work experience on my Dairy farm for a week or two ! If your after more ?
PM in bound!
Cheers Ed

classic33

Leg End Member
not passed yet, still need to ask lacal farmer if i can borrow his

if you want reliability you want a ford mondeo, our last one went to the scrap with over 210,000 miles on the block
and only because the rear suspension was going as we always had it loaded up heavy at the rear and it used to tow a caravan weighing more than a ton up and down welsh mountains :smile: never had anything go wrong with it during it's 12 or so years!
Cheers Ed
Volkswagon beetle, old style. In one when it clocked a 1,000,000 miles.
Similar car carried a bull in the back.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I dabbled with tractors, Massey Ferguson were the best. Rear tyre maintenance was easy, and eminently manouverable. Could be turned on a sixpence I felt, and didn't need too much elaborate garaging.
Probably got a pic. of it somewhere...Yes - with my great-grandfather Giles McGinty III at the wheel...

Corgi+Toy+1.jpg
Possibly worth £20. Be more but the box has been sellotaped.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
no proficiency part needed to legally drive it on the road. just apply for provisional and then take practical test and jobbie done! :smile:
oh course an employer could send employees on a course on general tractor driving and safe operation of such machines or tractor and trailer reversing etc if they so well wished to but no legal requirement there
Volkswagon beetle, old style. In one when it clocked a 1,000,000 miles.
Similar car carried a bull in the back.
dead reliable no doubt, but also not too nice to drive 1,000,000 miles in?
you could make a fiat go 1,000,000 miles if you wanted it would just need a hell of a lot of repairs and new parts along the way! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

classic33

Leg End Member
no proficiency part needed to legally drive it on the road. just apply for provisional and then take practical test and jobbie done! :smile:
oh course an employer could send employees on a course on general tractor driving and safe operation of such machines or tractor and trailer reversing etc if they so well wished to but no legal requirement there

dead reliable no doubt, but also not too nice to drive 1,000,000 miles in?
you could make a fiat go 1,000,000 miles if you wanted it would just need a hell of a lot of repairs and new parts along the way! :tongue:
Cheers Ed
Went a lot further than the 1,000,000 miles in the next nine months.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to bimble about in Cornwall on a wreck of a launch that ran on TVO. I spent days cranking the handle to get it started/re-started. A quite hateful engine really. Actually, it was probably marginally better those ghastly petrol Stuart Turners.

Top Bottom