Cav at Sky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm just wondering, if Sky did effectively become a national team, to all intents and purposes, would this alienate them amongst the peloton?

All the teams are made up of all riders from all over the place, so would Sky been seen as something "other" if you know what I mean? I'm not explaining myself very well...

I think the Team GB confusion with Sky is not a good thing personally. It seems slightly unhealthy and the finance, sponsor promotion aspect has the ability to get muddied.

I'd prefer it if Cav went to a team other than Sky if he leaves HTC.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This is effectively what Eukaltel are, isn't it? - a Basque Team.

And Katusha, and Astana and Leopard-Trek and Radioshack (and now Pure Black and Green Edge), plus all the French teams, which strongly self-identify as French. It's almost the norm for teams to be nationally-based.

monnet

Guru
And Katusha, and Astana and Leopard-Trek and Radioshack (and now Pure Black and Green Edge), plus all the French teams, which strongly self-identify as French. It's almost the norm for teams to be nationally-based.

Yes and no. Katusha, Astana and Leopard etc are all national teams in the sense that they have strong affiliations to the nationalities of the riders/sponsors, like Sky but they remain very much commercial enterprises. Teams have always been like that, with a few exceptions (Merckx's Italian teams, for example)

Euskaltel are a slightly different (and regional) proposition. They don't strongly identify with a country or region. They represent a region and, rightly or wrongly, are also a part of a very complex political landscape.

They are funded by local sponsors, the largest of which being Euskaltel but funding is not solely from them. Fans subscribe to the team and there is Basque Cycling Foundation which promotes cycling in the region (as if it were needed!). They are also, in that curious Basque tradition, a team that is made up solely of riders from the 5 provinces and Navarra. Even their kit is predominantly Basque, their bikes are Orbea and for a long time they used Etxe-Ondo clothing (though they now use MOA/ Nalini).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Euskaltel are a slightly different (and regional) proposition. They don't strongly identify with a country or region. They represent a region and, rightly or wrongly, are also a part of a very complex political landscape.

They are funded by local sponsors, the largest of which being Euskaltel but funding is not solely from them. Fans subscribe to the team and there is Basque Cycling Foundation which promotes cycling in the region (as if it were needed!). They are also, in that curious Basque tradition, a team that is made up solely of riders from the 5 provinces and Navarra. Even their kit is predominantly Basque, their bikes are Orbea and for a long time they used Etxe-Ondo clothing (though they now use MOA/ Nalini).

Absolutely, they are different. I was really trying to point out that Sky are not dissimilar from many other teams in being predominantly based in one country. I should really have just posted this as a reply to the previous comment!

Top Bottom