Cav at Sky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Article in telegraph reports 'open secret' that Sky would like to sign Cav for next season. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...rom-HTC-Highroad-to-Team-Sky-next-season.html)

Is this as likely as they suggest? Unless they sign up Renshaw, or someone equally brilliant, I don't think Sky have the personnel to set him up for the number of wins he's taken in last couple of years.

I would prefer he went to another team but who else is likely to want and be able to meet his salary requirements?

raindog

er.....
If he goes to Sky, apparently Renshaw will go with him.

What I find strange is the recent rumour of Gilbert going to Sky, which would seem impossible if Cav's there.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If he goes to Sky, apparently Renshaw will go with him.

What I find strange is the recent rumour of Gilbert going to Sky, which would seem impossible if Cav's there.

Don't see why - they are very different kinds of riders, for the most part. Gilbert's a classics rider, Cav's an out-and-out sprinter and points classification contender. There's only a few races where their goals would conflict - MSR being the only major one I can think of.

Plus, I think Sky already have a serious lead-out train should Cav come - Renshaw would help, sure, but with Thomas, Swift, Downing and EBH plus others who've already shown they can do the train thing, it could work out very well. Cav could also help bring on Apollonio.

Apparently, though, this is only part of a major rethink and significant team changes for Sky. Not surprising really.

raindog

er.....
Apparently, though, this is only part of a major rethink and significant team changes for Sky.
If it happens it could well have a sort of domino effect on transfers all over the place.

I'm a bit pissed off for Swifty though - OK he doesn't have the raw speed Cav's got, but he was coming along quite nicely imo.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm a bit pissed off for Swifty though - OK he doesn't have the raw speed Cav's got, but he was coming along quite nicely imo.

I think Swift has more potential to be Gilbert-like than Cav-like. Again, I think his targets should be different. He's only being used as an out-and-out sprinter at Sky because Apollonio isn't ready and Henderson is going downhill.

ohnovino

Large Member
Apparently, though, this is only part of a major rethink and significant team changes for Sky. Not surprising really.

Are they giving up on the plan to "win the Tour de France within 5 years"? I can't see any team having the resources to both protect Cav and help their leader in the GC.

It's not been a secret for a long time, but I don't think Cav will move with the train he's currently got.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It wouldn't make sense really

Wiggo needs Doms/all rounders for the mtns

Cav needs strong ass lead out men for a train (Tho we have seen he can be just as handy mixing it up, in there alone)

One will wind up unhappy,

montage

God Almighty
Wiggins is a good captain for a lead out train, as he proved in garmin, and what with the olympics next summer he may "bulk up" for the track, reducing his climbing abilities for the tour, meaning his targets may be different anyway.

Cav would be great for the team in terms of results, but I hope it doesn't hinder the development of others

Mac66

I understand that Cav's current lead-out men are contracted up till the end of next year and given the hoo-haa Sky caused with transfers last time round, I cant the lead-out going with him.

Cav hasn't issued a denial of the transfer either, he's only said that he's commited to HTC until the end of the season.

BJH

Über Member
Interesting extract on the Cycling News website from Richard Moore's book. Sound slike Cav was always the guy they wanted at Sky and only a bit of a fall out with Shane Sutton stopped him signing. But, it also says that Wiggins had decided he did not just want to be part of a lead out train. Seems difficult to reconcile a serious tilt at winning the Tour with supporting Cav on the sprints.

That said, I really hope this happens. It would be great to see a British team with all of our best riders on board. Surely the biggest temptation for cav would be the prospect of riding the worlds alongside teamaates from team and country, well versed in working together and capable of giving him the total support he would need.

I just hope it happens and that he brings Renshaw with him!

perplexed

Guru
I'm just wondering, if Sky did effectively become a national team, to all intents and purposes, would this alienate them amongst the peloton?

All the teams are made up of all riders from all over the place, so would Sky been seen as something "other" if you know what I mean? I'm not explaining myself very well...

RoyPSB

Über Member
I'm just wondering, if Sky did effectively become a national team, to all intents and purposes, would this alienate them amongst the peloton?

All the teams are made up of all riders from all over the place, so would Sky been seen as something "other" if you know what I mean? I'm not explaining myself very well...

This is effectively what Eukaltel are, isn't it? - a Basque Team.

Top Bottom