Cavendish: "I know I'm an peanut"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

In the after race interview yesterday, Cavendish got asked a couple of tricky (and critical) questions. He seemed a little stunned; I'm not sure if he was unaware of the stories or not expecting to be asked about them just then.

Apparently, some riders are complaining that he doesn't work in the groupettos. There's also been a suggestion that he doesn't like French riders and had made "racist" comments.

L'Equipe's story this morning touches on it.

Certains coureurs évoquent dans L'Equipe de mercredi votre hostilité à la France et aux professionnels français. Quelle est votre réaction ?

Je préfère rire de tout cela : je ne suis pas du tout comme ça, tout le monde le sait. J'aurais aimé avoir les noms des coureurs qui ont dit cela pour avoir des explications. Je préfère prendre tout ceci comme un compliment : la presse sort ce sujet car elle n'a rien à dire sur ma façon de courir. Pourtant, je fais des efforts pour apprendre le français, répondre aux questions. Je sais que je suis un connard (''peanut''). (...) Je peux m'énerver mais cela n'a rien à voir avec la nationalité des gens.

Some English links....

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15072009/3/french-tour-riders-slam-racist-cavendish.html

http://www.bicycle.net/2009/french-riders-have-had-enough-of-racist-cavendish

Hopefully it's a storm in a teacup, the usual kind of paper selling stuff, but I really hope Cavendish can just ignore it and get on with winning stages.

Edit: for some reaction from Cavendish

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/8153223.stm

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Apparently Cav was held up on his way to the doping check the other day and, thinking there were no microphones about, started complaining about the "f*cking French".

OP
OP
Y

yello

Alan H said:
Apparently Cav was held up on his way to the doping check the other day and, thinking there were no microphones about, started complaining about the "f*cking French".

I hadn't heard/read of that one! There are a lot of people milling around at the end of a stage (press, team minders, spectators, etc), all wanting a piece of the rider; it doesn't surprise me one bit that riders will loose their cool in such circumstances.

C'mon, don't the French understand that French bashing is an English(sic) national pastime. Even if we like 'em we don't let on. I used to love it when I worked for a French company. Only the ones who worked with me regularly knew I actually liked France and the French, the rest looked a bit weary of my strike and coffee break jokes. Never stopped me though.

Bigtwin

I don't think anyone's ever accused Cav of being the greatest brain in cycling ever. I think there's something of the Beckham about him in the way he interviews. Sooner or later someone will spark and get some "image coaching" delivered no doubt.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
yello said:
I hadn't heard/read of that one!

It was reported on the Dutch TdF magazine programme last night. There were also mutterings about riders not liking Cav's victory celebrations: arrogant, new-comer, lack of respect, etc., etc., yawn, etc. Some pundits thought it was good harmless fun, others thought he was setting himself up for a fall.

Slow news day.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I don't think it's what he's said in interviews. I reckon he's getting better at those btw. I actually like his almost childish enthusiasm when interviewed at the moment! No, it's something he's said (and not doing) in the peleton it would seem.

Oh, French tele have taken a delight in interviewing Nocenti with his wife. Actually, they are truly delightful together! She speaks no French but Rinaldo translates for her. It is kind of cute. Anyway, she's taken to wearing yellow t-shirts/sleeveless tops which the camera likes to pour over.... of course, the fact she just happens to have a fair bosom (shall we say) has NOTHING to do with it!!

I'll see if I can find a picture....

OP
OP
Y

yello

You mean YOU'RE waiting!!

I think her name might have been Laura... not sure, I wasn't paying too much attention to her name!

Top Bottom