CC Ecosse August Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Match abandoned at half time due to injury. Full report to follow. :sad:

Are you going to give the [gory] details - or shall I just say that, after about 12km of mainly uphill (into the strong wind), we came to a downhill section. Sleekitcollie (who not only won the Pinarello bike :wub: - he also won a year's supply of pasta :eek:) decided to se how fast it would go downhill.

The answer - very fast indeed, as he swept shot past Scook94 and I, who were probably doing 30-35kph minimum. Scook, however, knew that there was this tight blind bend coming up so knew, when he saw Sleekit's rear wheel in the air, that it wasn't good xx(. He'd locked up, 'high-sided' and gone down on the road.

Initial assessment was
- a damaged L hamstring (which had been tight for a couple of days)
- much road rash :cry:
- a badly-scratched (and subsequently shown by the paramedic to be broken :eek:) helmet
- L and R shoulders sore but seemingly not dislocated/broken :sad:
- frame, fork, crank, gears etc OK :becool:
- a scraped saddle and bar tape :eek:
- front and rear brakes which needed checking :ohmy:

It was obvious Collie wasn't cycling anywhere, so Eldudino volunteered to go for his car, put the bike in the back and take Collie to A&E. He set off, while Jane displayed her motherly side by staying beside him, 'soothing his fevered brow' (more correctly keeping him warm :hugs: :eek: - :thumbsup:) while the rest of us layered up and tried to get out of the wind and into the sunshine.

As the adrenaline eased off, Collie felt his shoulder much more painful, so an ambulance was called. [cue: what's your postcode ? :rolleyes: until, fortunately, the local farmer appeared and gave us the postcode and all necessary directions]

The Paramedic's assessment was that his car-type ambulance wasn't going to do the job, so he called for a 'proper' one. ['06 reg, with over 340,000 miles on the clock :eek:]. Collie's neck was painful when moving, so the full neck-brace, stretcher etc was used and we wept as he was taken waved him away.

Not too surprisingly, after the incident, the wait in the wind and the thought of flogging for 2 more hours into a headwind, we decided the cafe was a better option, so Corrieri's it was :wahhey:.

An unfortunate halt to a good-looking route and one which we will have to do fully sometime ...

Scoosh, thanks again for the lift and all the tips and valuable lessons in this new 'craft' I'm learning.
Don't go round tight blind corners too fast on a new bike :headshake:
Cheers,
Dave

Stewart is Sleekitcollie, don't worry there is no serious damage to the Pinarello (although it may need a new saddle). He was remarkable cheerful whilst laying at the side of the road waiting for the ambulance to arrive, although is first words after the accident were "is the bike OK?" apparently...
He's a REAL cyclist :bravo:

...and the second words were "great, now what about my iphone?"
:rolleyes:

snorri

Legendary Member
All the best to sleekitcollie, and good that we are able to appreciate a little humour in the story of the incident Scoosh. :smile:

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I knew he was ok when I got back with my car to find him at the side of the road, bleeding, playing with his iphone. He said something about trying to get his GPS location but I'm sure I saw a game on it... :rolleyes:

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Erm, can I just put a word in for Honest Man's new bike too? I really liked the paint job (even though it was green!) Very reminiscent of the Brawn F1 cars from last season, if it had been white and yellow I may just have traded in my Ti! (well maybe not!)

Cheers scook, bike is nice looking :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
All the best to sleekitcollie, and good that we are able to appreciate a little humour in the story of the incident Scoosh. :smile:

You should have heard the paramedics comments on the lack of sympathy for the casualty, not that he showed much either ;)

JiMBR

I swear the paramedic laughed for a full 30 seconds when Stuart said
that he'd given up the motorcycle for the cycle as it was safer!

:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I swear the paramedic laughed for a full 30 seconds when Stuart said
that he'd given up the motorcycle for the cycle as it was safer!

:biggrin:

His last words of advice as they shut the ambulance doors were "better get yer sel another motorbike..." :laugh:

Talking about the Paramedic, how long did they take to find us :wacko: ; once they did it seems like he arrived in minutes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
How long would the phone call lasted if the farmer hadn't turned up and told us the post code? It is really worrying that to call an ambulance you need to know the post code! Maybe all smart phone owners need to bookmark this site so that they can convert the Lat/Long from the GPS (56.046078 -4.000595) into the nearest post code. Then again, you'd think that the emergence control centre could have done that to find out where we were...

sleekitcollie

hi folks , just a wee note to say hospital visit today confirmed clean break on my collar bone so no need for an op ;) they x rayed my hand as it was bit doggy looking but no finger breaks . all other injurys will just take time and collar bone 4-6 weeks ( wish i had sams daughters healing powers and youthfulness ;) )

will keep u guys updated on progress
cheers and thanx again for good wishes

Coco

Sorry to hear about your wee fall SC. Hope you mend soon. Glad I spent my weekend playing with explosives - much safer :smile:

Top Bottom