CC Ecosse August Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Here's one for you all....

How many CC Ecosseers does it take to decide on a route and date for a CC Ecosse ride? Anybody? :tongue:

:biggrin:

scook94

Veteran
Here's one for you all....

How many CC Ecosseers does it take to decide on a route and date for a CC Ecosse ride? Anybody? :tongue:

:biggrin:

Usually only one! i.e. the person who started the thread! So get a MOVE on!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
As it's up to me, details are as follows:

Date: Sunday 29th August

Route: Stirling, Carron Valley, Kippen (tea stop), Doune, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan to Corrieri's cafe for lunch/cake/Peroni!

The route, as provided by Scook94, is here.

I'm not available in August at all.

Away on holidays on the first 2 weekends, then the Pitlochry 200K audax followed the next weekend by the Ken Laidlaw and possibly another audax on the last weekend of August.

I'm planning a biggish ride this Sunday out Comrie, Crieff, Perth way if anyone is interested? Not got down to the fine detail of an actual route yet:unsure:

I forgot you were up in Crieff I headed up that way by Glen Devon/ Glen Eagles and back via Dunning Glen (the easier hill ;-) ) it turned out great weather, a bit blowy sometimes though in the Glens; I had a headwind in all 3 despite them going in completely different directions. I decided it was so nice and was a bit sick unpredictable of the wind and opted for a predictable head wind and headed west to Bridge of Allan, in the knowledge that I'd get blown home ;)

For all the times I've been up Law hill, that's the first time I've done it from the east; got to wood at the top of the village when I found out they drive on the right in Clackmannanshire, makes me glad I'm a slow descender ;)

Seamab

I forgot you were up in Crieff I headed up that way by Glen Devon/ Glen Eagles and back via Dunning Glen (the easier hill ;-) ) it turned out great weather, a bit blowy sometimes though in the Glens; I had a headwind in all 3 despite them going in completely different directions. I decided it was so nice and was a bit sick unpredictable of the wind and opted for a predictable head wind and headed west to Bridge of Allan, in the knowledge that I'd get blown home ;)

For all the times I've been up Law hill, that's the first time I've done it from the east; got to wood at the top of the village when I found out they drive on the right in Clackmannanshire, makes me glad I'm a slow descender ;)

I went out on this route yesterday Auchterarder loop
There was a bad westerly headwind going down Gleneagles and coming back from Perth to Auchterarder. The minor roads between Crieff and Perth are great for cycling - good surfaces and low on traffic. Great hamlet names too, like Findo Gask (i'm sure there is a band named after this one) and Fowlis Wester (nice 20% hill as well!). This would be good territory for a CC Ecosse ride. I had meant to return by Dunning Glen but was out of water by Auchterarder so had to detour into the town for supplies and decided just to keep going back via Gleneagles as i was tiring. This is the first ride of any length i've done in the last 2 months.

The Law Hill descent from the East is spoiled by much of it being through the town so you have to slow down - otherwise it would be very fast. :sad:

Seamab

As it's up to me, details are as follows:

Date: Sunday 29th August

Route: Stirling, Carron Valley, Kippen (tea stop), Doune, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan to Corrieri's cafe for lunch/cake/Peroni!

The route, as provided by Scook94, is here.

That looks like a nice route. You could always go over Sheriffmuir from Dunblane to Blairlogie to get to Corrieri's. The section of road down to Blairlogie Kirk has been resurfaced. The last time i did that bit i was being held up by a car who pulled over to let me past - that was a nice change:biggrin:

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
That looks like a nice route. You could always go over Sheriffmuir from Dunblane to Blairlogie to get to Corrieri's. The section of road down to Blairlogie Kirk has been resurfaced. The last time i did that bit i was being held up by a car who pulled over to let me past - that was a nice change:biggrin:

Good idea, we could always split after Doune, those taking it easy can make their way to Corrieri's on the easier gradients with the faster folk going up Sherriffmuir, it would depend on how many people turn up and who wants to do it.

Coco

That route just scared the bee-jeezus out of me!

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I was up Auchterarder yesterday too - see attachment - did it clockwise after cycling out to Glenrothes to meet up. Easier route than yours Seamab - there was 8 of us from Leslie Bike shop in Glenrothes and we passed a lot of others so not sure if you maybe saw us. Considering my Glentress 'off', I was okay to start with but got pretty tired - legs were okay but my shoulder was sore and couldn't really pull or put weight on it. All the hills were done seated and with one hand pulling on the bars so the legs got a good workout even though there wasn't anything bad hillwise. All that sitting gave me a sore bum too! I didn't expect the run to be 70 miles but hey I got round. Seamab thats a good route for a run and good too if theres an alternative for those that prefer not to do the hills.

Anyways I should be fine for 29/8 as I've never cycled out that way before.

Attachments

• Auchterarder_70.jpg
    Auchterarder_70.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 98
I went out on this route yesterday Auchterarder loop
There was a bad westerly headwind going down Gleneagles and coming back from Perth to Auchterarder. The minor roads between Crieff and Perth are great for cycling - good surfaces and low on traffic. Great hamlet names too, like Findo Gask (i'm sure there is a band named after this one) and Fowlis Wester (nice 20% hill as well!). This would be good territory for a CC Ecosse ride. I had meant to return by Dunning Glen but was out of water by Auchterarder so had to detour into the town for supplies and decided just to keep going back via Gleneagles as i was tiring. This is the first ride of any length i've done in the last 2 months.
B) I see you took the Old A85 (Perth-Crieff) I'd agree its a great road, brilliant surface almost no traffic.

I met a bloke who had cycled out from Perth, just east of Auchterarder and we had a good chat as far as Dunning he said the wind had been pretty hard; I had to agree ;)
The Law Hill descent from the East is spoiled by much of it being through the town so you have to slow down - otherwise it would be very fast. :sad:

Yip, I think that's why I'd never done it before :sad:

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Ahh, a nice flat run, nothing to scare the beginners then... :evil:

Scook's suggestion - I thought it might be a bit off-putting though I did the route last year when I was unfit, 17+ stone and on my MTB and managed it fine. If anyone's put off, speak up and we'll do a flatter route?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have had plenty of practice at getting beginners up the hills, it shouldn't be a problem ;)

Opps just bumped the thread again...

Top Bottom