CC Ecosse August Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
Ahh, a nice flat run, nothing to scare the beginners then... :evil:

I did it last year too when I was fat and unfit. It's certainly far easier than the route we did this month and IMO easier than the Tour de Falkirk we did last year.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I did it last year too when I was fat and unfit. It's certainly far easier than the route we did this month and IMO easier than the Tour de Falkirk we did last year.

I've been along the first part of the route, to the end of the Carron reservoir, didn't find it too challenging (on my lovely Trek tank) ...
Looking forward to seeing the second part, have always wanted to go back and explore the Campsies some more, but been distracted towards the Lothians and Borders recently ;) .

Good call Eldudino, like the TWO chatting & feeding stops :tongue:

Looking forward,

T

P.S. Anybody reading this thread who hasn't been to a CC Ecosse ride and wonders whether this is for you - come along and join us, our motto is "nobody gets left behind" ... we are a friendly bunch, perhaps slightly mad (some of us more than others :whistle: ).

scook94

Veteran
I've been along the first part of the route, to the end of the Carron reservoir, didn't find it too challenging (on my lovely Trek tank) ...
Looking forward to seeing the second part, have always wanted to go back and explore the Campsies some more, but been distracted towards the Lothians and Borders recently ;) .

Good call Eldudino, like the TWO chatting & feeding stops :tongue:

Looking forward,

T

P.S. Anybody reading this thread who hasn't been to a CC Ecosse ride and wonders whether this is for you - come along and join us, our motto is "nobody gets left behind" ... we are a friendly bunch, perhaps slightly mad (some of us more than others :whistle: ).

The worst bit is the long drag up New Line Road and a wee kicker of a hill at the end. The kicker isn't very long and no worse than some of the climbs on the TdF. If anyone needs to walk then it'll only be a very brief wait for them to catch up. There's a steady incline out of Fintry but I didn't find it too bad last year. Another short climb between Thornhill and Doune but again we've done worse in the past.

For the most part it's very traffic free apart from the bit coming into Doune and then from Dunblane into Bridge of Allen but the roads are nice and wide and shouldn't be problematic.

The cafe stop in Kippen is a nice wee place and Eldudino still owes me a cake and a cup of tea from there too! :smile:

Coco

sorry folks cant make the 29th , wedding ( well the wedding is in australia , we are doing a video link from sunny scotland ) different i know but hopefuly should be fun and a great surprise

Do you think they could tell the difference between you and a cardboard cut-out on the video link? :whistle:

Having said that I can't make it either. Which is probably just as well since my bike appears to have put on 2kg since my holidays.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
sorry folks cant make the 29th , wedding ( well the wedding is in australia , we are doing a video link from sunny scotland ) different i know but hopefuly should be fun and a great surprise

Just send along the Pinarello for us to look at and we'll excuse your absence :thumbsup:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Do you think they could tell the difference between you and a cardboard cut-out on the video link? :whistle:

Having said that I can't make it either. Which is probably just as well since my bike appears to have put on 2kg since my holidays.:rolleyes:

You need to step off the scales when weighing you bike... ;)

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Just send along the Pinarello for us to look at and we'll excuse your absence :thumbsup:

I'll collect it and give it a demo ride ! :rolleyes:

edindave

Über Member
Hello everyone - newbie alert :blush:

Have been watching the thread with a view to going on my first ever group ride... I have to say that this Aug 29th route scares the pants off me :unsure:

I reckon I can do the distance - did my first 50 mile on Sunday, Edinburgh to North Berwick and back, non-stop. Yes I got overtaken by loads of folk... I averaged 13mph. But I have only really been getting into cycling since April so am not very quick.

It's the hills that worry me... and the wind... and being last... oh man!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Hello everyone - newbie alert :blush:

Have been watching the thread with a view to going on my first ever group ride... I have to say that this Aug 29th route scares the pants off me :unsure:

I reckon I can do the distance - did my first 50 mile on Sunday, Edinburgh to North Berwick and back, non-stop. Yes I got overtaken by loads of folk... I averaged 13mph. But I have only really been getting into cycling since April so am not very quick.

It's the hills that worry me... and the wind... and being last... oh man!

Hi Dave. If you can do 50m miles non stop then I wouldn't worry about doing this route. There'll be a number of stops en route, including a tea/cake stop halfwayish. Plus you won't get left behind. It's also a month away so you've got time to train for it too! :smile: Hope we see you there.

edindave

Über Member
Hi Dave. If you can do 50m miles non stop then I wouldn't worry about doing this route. There'll be a number of stops en route, including a tea/cake stop halfwayish. Plus you won't get left behind. It's also a month away so you've got time to train for it too! :smile: Hope we see you there.

Thanks eldudino. I just need to throw caution to the wind and go for it eh!?

I have a day pass for 29th :smile: just need to check closer to the date and work out the logistics of either train or drive to Stirling - drive is probably easier from a convenience point of view.

I'd like to improve between now and then. I'm trawling the forum for training threads. Interval training specifically. I'm wondering how long of an interval period is recommended if you're aiming to improve your speed over long distance rides. There is a lot of info and countless posts to pick through... any shortcuts appreciated!

sleekitcollie

Top Bottom