CC Ecosse August Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

One of these days you're going to pick a day I can make it....not sure if I'll still be able to ride my bike by the time you do though! :biggrin:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks eldudino. I just need to throw caution to the wind and go for it eh!?

I'd like to improve between now and then. I'm trawling the forum for training threads. Interval training specifically. I'm wondering how long of an interval period is recommended if you're aiming to improve your speed over long distance rides. There is a lot of info and countless posts to pick through... any shortcuts appreciated!

Hi edindave,

congratulations on your 50M!

There's no need to worry about keeping up or to be nervous about CC Ecosse rides. We are all at different levels, the rides are just as much about the social aspect and encouraging each other and having a good time as they are about the cycling. As has been mentioned, we wait for each other and go at a pace that suits whoever can make it on the day, rather than a pre-set pace that you either keep up with or risk getting "spat out" at the back (as happens with some club rides).

Some CC Ecossers are/have been bike club members for a long time, others have gone via CC Ecosse to join clubs, and for some CC Ecosse is as close to club cycling as they want to be. I personally am in the 3rd group, but really enjoy the CC rides, they push me to go a bit faster, but I don't feel I am inconveniencing the others (or at least they don't let me feel it ;) ).

T

Looking forward to meeting you,

T (also from Edinburgh)

edindave

Über Member
Thanks T :smile:

I was well chuffed at doing 50!

The group rides sound great, just what I'm looking for. And a lot less daunting - thanks.

Am looking forward to it. Might put in a few trips round Arthurs Seat beforehand to help me get used to the hills.

Cheers!

Dave

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Thanks eldudino. I just need to throw caution to the wind and go for it eh!?

I have a day pass for 29th :smile: just need to check closer to the date and work out the logistics of either train or drive to Stirling - drive is probably easier from a convenience point of view.

I'd like to improve between now and then. I'm trawling the forum for training threads. Interval training specifically. I'm wondering how long of an interval period is recommended if you're aiming to improve your speed over long distance rides. There is a lot of info and countless posts to pick through... any shortcuts appreciated!

Um what is interval training?? Never tried that for a CC ride, and I have been on a lot of them... ;)

These are rides for everyone, even if the route looks scary... :evil:

By the way I am catching the train.

edindave

Über Member
Um what is interval training?? Never tried that for a CC ride, and I have been on a lot of them... ;)

These are rides for everyone, even if the route looks scary... :evil:

By the way I am catching the train.

yeah, erm, interval training... uh... perhaps I'll just try to calm down and just enjoy it without worrying about performance! I'm not even going to attempt to explain what I think interval training is LOL - it just seemed like a good idea at the time ;)

I'd prefer to get the train too. I reckon it'll be a busy weekend - end of Festival and Bank Hol combined... I'm guessing would need to book a bike space well in advance? Another new experience looms :biggrin:

OK... more newbie questions I'm afraid!

What time does the 'ride' start?
Where do we meet?
What time train should I get from Edinburgh?
Will I need to book a bike space on the return train? That's going to be tricky as I'll have no idea how long I'm going to take to complete the ride?

All these questions!:hyper:

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Could turn into a century ride for me!

Attachments

• Stirling_100.gif
    Stirling_100.gif
    144.8 KB · Views: 62

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
1) What time does the 'ride' start?
2) Where do we meet?
3) What time train should I get from Edinburgh?
4) Will I need to book a bike space on the return train? That's going to be tricky as I'll have no idea how long I'm going to take to complete the ride?

All these questions!:hyper:

Eldudino hasn't decreed the time & place yet :smile: , but here are some guesses:
1) We normally meet at a sensible time that allows those travelling to get to the start, about 10-11 AM or thereabouts ...
2) Meeting places tend to be train stations or supermarket car parks
3) best guesses: dep 9:34 arr 10:29, or dep 10:33 arr 11:23 (hourly trains on Sundays)
4) I don't think you can reserve bike spaces on the Edinburgh-Dunblane line, you'll just have to go for it (normally OK early-ish on Sundays)

Hope this helps,

T

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Eldudino hasn't decreed the time & place yet :smile: , but here are some guesses:
1) We normally meet at a sensible time that allows those travelling to get to the start, about 10-11 AM or thereabouts ...
2) Meeting places tend to be train stations or supermarket car parks
3) best guesses: dep 9:34 arr 10:29, or dep 10:33 arr 11:23 (hourly trains on Sundays)
4) I don't think you can reserve bike spaces on the Edinburgh-Dunblane line, you'll just have to go for it (normally OK early-ish on Sundays)

Hope this helps,

T

10.30am at Stirling train station it is then!
thumbsup.png

Plenty of free parking for those in cars at Tesco near by or you can park near my house and ride down together.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Did you and HJ not book on the train for the Trossachs run last year, it started in Dunblane or Stirling IIRC. I just turned up at the station and there was plenty of room. :smile:

No, I don't think you can book that one, it's the Perth/Inverness/Aberdeen/Ft William trains that have the booking system, "local" central Scotland Scotrail & SPT are normally fine ...
(I definitely wasn't on the Trossachs ride last year, that was before I joined CC)

T

No, I don't think you can book that one, it's the Perth/Inverness/Aberdeen/Ft William trains that have the booking system, "local" central Scotland Scotrail & SPT are normally fine ...
(I definitely wasn't on the Trossachs ride last year, that was before I joined CC)

T

My dodgy memory again :thumbsup: I can recall me getting out of one carriage and you both getting out of the other, maybe it was Perth. I've not had a bike on a train in about a year but in my past experiences there has been no problem in just turning up. I've only been refused entry once at that was Perth on a Sunday (trains 2 hourly) and the guard asked first if I had a reservation.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
My dodgy memory again :thumbsup: I can recall me getting out of one carriage and you both getting out of the other, maybe it was Perth. I've not had a bike on a train in about a year but in my past experiences there has been no problem in just turning up. I've only been refused entry once at that was Perth on a Sunday (trains 2 hourly) and the guard asked first if I had a reservation.

Yes, that was Perth :smile:, your memory is not as bad as you think ;)
We trundled down to the Tay and met Seamab for the first time, before TechMech brought the Asda c** park people along (75% of the Scoosh family + ... now I am struggling - Scook &/or Eldudino?):whistle:

T

Top Bottom