CC Ecosse August Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
If you are allowed out both days, and if anybody fancies coming that far east for a recovery ride on Sunday, we were thinking of heading east or south from Edinburgh (East- or Midlothian, possibly into the Borders, depending on the weather and how we feel). There WILL be cake afterwards, whether anybody is joining us or not, we have courgette overload :hungry: .

T

Redstone Rigg, perchance? :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

You're that keen to do it again?? ;)

Veloscot

Über Member
If you are allowed out both days, and if anybody fancies coming that far east for a recovery ride on Sunday, we were thinking of heading east or south from Edinburgh (East- or Midlothian, possibly into the Borders, depending on the weather and how we feel). There WILL be cake afterwards, whether anybody is joining us or not, we have courgette overload :hungry: .

T

I'd be up for the Sunday ride if you're headed over Redstone Rigg way. If you're passing through Dalkeith or Cousland on your way out can you give me a shout?

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Unless you know of anything steeper?

There is a road by there which I think is steeper I think HJ and Scoosh done it on the way to pick up the CC jersey. I did a while ago :-) I also done it in the rain which didn't make for the best of descents :-(

JiMBR

North Portland Street

I work very close by and have done it a few times....it's quite challenging.

:wacko:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Lets not forget that these rides are supposed to be for everyone, and we might be scaring off the new comers with the banter ;)

There is Polton Mill, it is satisfying steep and entertainingly twisty I am sure we can fit it in on a ride, but not hugely long...

TechMech

There is a road by there which I think is steeper I think HJ and Scoosh done it on the way to pick up the CC jersey. I did a while ago :-) I also done it in the rain which didn't make for the best of descents :-(

What about Glen Quaich? I drove up that in the car whilst on hols in the last few weeks and boy was it steep, and a mental descent too back into kenmore, and I could smell either the clutch or the brake pads burning up!!!

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
What about Glen Quaich? I drove up that in the car whilst on hols in the last few weeks and boy was it steep, and a mental descent too back into kenmore, and I could smell either the clutch or the brake pads burning up!!!

But its not nearby to East LothianI know plenty of tricky rides but they're not close either ;)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...

Your new favourite hill? That would be an option ... :tongue:

I'd be up for the Sunday ride if you're headed over Redstone Rigg way. If you're passing through Dalkeith or Cousland on your way out can you give me a shout?

We'll post more details nearer the time, including some meeting places, and we can swap mobile numbers via PM to arrange for "fly-slog-past" times. In case you haven't experienced yet how CC Ecosse rides are arranged, prepare of PAGES of fun :rolleyes: .

Unless you know of anything steeper?

hmmm ... HLaB might know this - is the Polton Mill (western) slope steeper?
Combining both for a proper test would probably be a bit too far for a leisurely Sunday ride, for me anyway :blush:

About going east, the wind is predicted to be from a northerly direction at the weekend, so we may want to take the opportunity to get blown up Redstone Rigg :thumbsup: (wind-assisted climbing anybody ;) ?). Shorter & longer options available, either heading out from Edinburgh or starting from Longniddry train station ...
[Free parking available near our place for those thinking of driving to Edinburgh]

The other idea I had was to go south (via Dalkeith?) and follow the NCN1 from Lasswade up to the viewpoint on the Moorfoots, and returning via Polton Mill if anybody fancies trying the steepest hill nearby that I can think of.

T

Top Bottom