Chain jammed help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterD

Hi Cuber
Just take the bike back to the dealer. Tell them to fix it, repair the damage and for them to make sure it does not happen again. You've only had the bike a very short while and it should have left their premises at POS being totally fit for purpose etc. Modifying or trying to fix yourself could nullify the bikes warranty.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I'm having difficulty understanding how you could do all that damage just from dropping the chain once. There's damage in places that wouldn't normally get damaged from a dropped chain.

As for preventing the chain dropping off again (as well as setting up the limit screw properly) then the best solution IMO is the Token chain catcher (same as the K-Edge, but much cheaper). Only you'd need to get a braze-on front mech and mount it to a band on adapter for it to work with your frame. As far as I'm aware this is the only kind of solution that will work with odd-shaped carbon tubes.

I was just as surprised by the amount of damage done but I think its because its a triple chainset and would not of been nearly as bad had it been double or compact plus when I was on shimano site it shows a spacer on drive side aswell as the non drive side but mines only has spacer on non drive side so the space is about a millimetre less than the size of the chain between bb and ring so when it goes down between the bb and ring well you can see for yourself how bad it is.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Hi Cuber
Just take the bike back to the dealer. Tell them to fix it, repair the damage and for them to make sure it does not happen again. You've only had the bike a very short while and it should have left their premises at POS being totally fit for purpose etc. Modifying or trying to fix yourself could nullify the bikes warranty.

I bought online and im a few hundered miles away or I would of been on their doorstep first thing,the bikes definately not fit for purpose and just studying the bike I think a triple on this frame is just asking for trouble( not enough clearance between BB shell and small ring) .

PeterD

Hi Cuber
I've just looked at the Tredz website where I presume you bought the bike from. If you look at the Terms and Conditions you can get a ''full'' refund within 365 days if you are not happy with the bike . See link here My link You will need to ship the bike back to them at your cost, but if you search around you can get some very cheap delivery prices especially on those Ebay delivery companies. From what you have said it would seem you are slowly going off the bike model -- so perhaps a full refund and buy another bike is the best option.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Hi Cuber
I've just looked at the Tredz website where I presume you bought the bike from. If you look at the Terms and Conditions you can get a ''full'' refund within 365 days if you are not happy with the bike . See link here My link You will need to ship the bike back to them at your cost, but if you search around you can get some very cheap delivery prices especially on those Ebay delivery companies. From what you have said it would seem you are slowly going off the bike model -- so perhaps a full refund and buy another bike is the best option.

Thanks m8 but its just a marketing ploy the 365 days thing ,The bike or anything you buy from tredz has to be unused to be returned to them under this guarantee so its pretty much just for consumers to think they are ethical where in my eyes this just makes them look like cunning marketeers.

The bikes beautiful but if the chain was to go down between BB shell and chainring again that would be that if its not already knacked the now.

Thanks again for your help.

amaferanga

Veteran
I was just as surprised by the amount of damage done but I think its because its a triple chainset and would not of been nearly as bad had it been double or compact plus when I was on shimano site it shows a spacer on drive side aswell as the non drive side but mines only has spacer on non drive side so the space is about a millimetre less than the size of the chain between bb and ring so when it goes down between the bb and ring well you can see for yourself how bad it is.

I don't really get what you're saying. I can understand the damage close to the BB, but not the marks further along the chainstay. I'm trying to get my head around how a dropped chain would cause those and I just can't.

How long did you continue trying to pedal for when the chain dropped off?

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I don't really get what you're saying. I can understand the damage close to the BB, but not the marks further along the chainstay. I'm trying to get my head around how a dropped chain would cause those and I just can't.

How long did you continue trying to pedal for when the chain dropped off?

[/quote

I was on a down stroke and my momentum took me down to the bottom so at most half a turn,you would need to see the set up to understand but on a double or compact there is enough clearance that the chain just would not jam the same way as it did here.

amaferanga

Veteran
I was on a down stroke and my momentum took me down to the bottom so at most half a turn,you would need to see the set up to understand but on a double or compact there is enough clearance that the chain just would not jam the same way as it did here.

Think it's just clicked - the chain was dragged up by the small chainring between it and the chainstay

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Think it's just clicked - the chain was dragged up by the small chainring between it and the chainstay

Yep wrapped right around .

Just spoke with two of the tredz guys ,both basically called me liar and said it was chain suck .

Both were as wriggley as two oiled snakes as they would admit nothing not even that chain suck was foreseeable .

I wished I had taped the conversation as it was unbelievable at one point he said you cant change gear on a hill when I said are you saying you should stop and get off then change gear he back tracked lol.

Time for trading standards.

amaferanga

Veteran
Yep wrapped right around .

Just spoke with two of the tredz guys ,both basically called me liar and said it was chain suck .

Both were as wriggley as two oiled snakes as they would admit nothing not even that chain suck was foreseeable .

I wished I had taped the conversation as it was unbelievable at one point he said you cant change gear on a hill when I said are you saying you should stop and get off then change gear he back tracked lol.

Time for trading standards.

I'm not saying this should have happened, but you do need to be very careful if you're changing down at the front on a hill and make sure you're not applying much force. If you've told the guys at Tredz that it happened while you were changing down on a hill then I really don't think you're going to get anything out of this as the guys you spoke to are possibly right in that it could have been chain suck. If the chain just popped off then its less likely that it would have caused the damage to the chainstay.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I'm not saying this should have happened, but you do need to be very careful if you're changing down at the front on a hill and make sure you're not applying much force. If you've told the guys at Tredz that it happened while you were changing down on a hill then I really don't think you're going to get anything out of this as the guys you spoke to are possibly right in that it could have been chain suck. If the chain just popped off then its less likely that it would have caused the damage to the chainstay.

I know what you are saying but think of it in legals terms it dosnt matter if it was chain suck or the derailer set up wrong or a combination of both what matters is was I using the bike as it was intended (fit for purpose) and if I was then its down to either warranty or negligence on Tredz part when building bike.

If you buy a new car and drive it as intended and something goes wrong after 5 weeks(not wear and tear)then your legally entitled to have it fixed(fit for purpose again).

You think because chains maybe jump off bikes and cause damage then its acceptable well its not especially when simple devices can prevent this possible design flaw,again it all goes back to if your using the bike as intended.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
^^ If you shifted under load then thats operator error. Not used as intended, you should reduce load and shift. If you didnt change like this then you are partly to blame.

Dont get me wrong, I feel for you, but I think you will be hard pressed to successfuly pin this on the head of tredz.

Top Bottom