Chain jammed help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterD

Hi Cuber
Having read the most recent replies and your comments seems like its all going round in circles and getting very steamed up !! Therefore I strongly suggest you simply call your local Trading Standards office in the morning, explain the situation and let them give you their professional advice on what you should do next. Click the link for telephone contact My link

OP
OP
C

Cuber

^^ If you shifted under load then thats operator error. Not used as intended, you should reduce load and shift. If you didnt change like this then you are partly to blame.

Dont get me wrong, I feel for you, but I think you will be hard pressed to successfuly pin this on the head of tredz.

Well luckily with the sale of goods act the onus is on tredz to prove they set the bike up correctly and not on me to prove otherwise,all I can do is state the facts which were after it happened on inspection the derailer was 4 mm out of place and the only way this could happen was it was not set up correctly because the screw allowed the derailer to nearly hit the downtube.

Remember this was first time I tryed to engage this specific gear on this bike.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Hi Cuber
Having read the most recent replies and your comments seems like its all going round in circles and getting very steamed up !! Therefore I strongly suggest you simply call your local Trading Standards office in the morning, explain the situation and let them give you their professional advice on what you should do next. Click the link for telephone contact My link

Thanks peter already phoned them this morning as I knew Tredz was just giving me runaround.

Just think of it this way you spend nearly £2000 on a bike have it a few weeks and its knackered because the chain came off (IMO not fit for purpose)

PeterD

Hi Cuber
What did trading standards say ? Just out of interest, we build a lot of expensive triathlon bikes and always advise customers, if its been shipped to them, after receiving the bike, to go for a short ''gentle'' ride -- then go over the whole bike checking all the components, cable tensions plus check and adjust gears where necessary. Chains can jump off the sprocket I'm afraid --- the classic example was Andy Schleck's chain when it came off in last years Tour

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Hi Cuber
What did trading standards say ? Just out of interest, we build a lot of expensive triathlon bikes and always advise customers, if its been shipped to them, after receiving the bike, to go for a short ''gentle'' ride -- then go over the whole bike checking all the components, cable tensions plus check and adjust gears where necessary. Chains can jump off the sprocket I'm afraid --- the classic example was Andy Schleck's chain when it came off in last years Tour

Hi Peter
Ive to send tredz a letter saying they have breach contract sending me something not fit for purpose then if they dont respond trading standards then helps you.

Yep you would normally check a bike yourself or get lbs to have a look but Tredz say they are one of the few that check the whole bike and you only have to put pedals on and tighten handle bars its one of their main selling points you even get an invoice that says front gear stop screws have been checked among other things .

I did check everything was tight and that gears were fine prior to first run but never looked at the alignment of front derailer as it was shifting fine.

I did check the back to make sure it didnt go into spokes and it was spot on

Anyway if you read the tredz website it goes on about how you dont need to check anything .

I,ve also sent an e-mail to their managing director as the store manager said it would be impossible for the derailer to be where I said it was and still be able to shift properly and based his whole defence so to speak on this point,after the phone call I put derailer back to where I said it was and it shifted up the gears fine so he basically decided it couldnt happen on a wrong assumption.

amaferanga

Veteran
You said you've had your bike for 5 weeks. In that time things can change (e.g. cables stretching/settling in) so I'm not sure you can blame this on Tredz. As for the set-up of the front mech - surely the incident will have knocked it out of alignment so making a judgement on whether or not it was right in the first place is going to be very difficult.

I think you need to take this on the chin and accept that operator error more likely than not caused the unshipping of the chain and learn from it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You said you've had your bike for 5 weeks. In that time things can change (e.g. cables stretching/settling in) so I'm not sure you can blame this on Tredz. As for the set-up of the front mech - surely the incident will have knocked it out of alignment so making a judgement on whether or not it was right in the first place is going to be very difficult.

I think you need to take this on the chin and accept that operator error more likely than not caused the unshipping of the chain and learn from it.

I think you are right here. Same thing happened on my Cube. Lovely scratch marks on the paint job. After reading up about chain suck and taking corrective action I didn't have the problem again until it was time to swap out the from chain-set.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Reading what your saying here I dont think you fully understand how to set up a front derailer( I dont mean to offend you here).

When setting it up you set the stop screws so the derailer can only travel so far down and so far up stopping the chain jumping off small ring and big ring respectively,now I dont think these screws could possibly move unless force by a screwdriver is applied to them and any amount of cable stretch will only have an affect if its the cable holding the derailer in alignment and not the stop screw .

In my case the screw was so far out you could only come to one conclusion and that was it was never set up correctly .

Would the chain have still come off if it had been set-up correctly I dont think so but will never know.

You really have to look at this specific bike with the triple chainset to see it should have something on it to protect it,I think you will get 2-3(1 might be enough) chain derailments at the most and the frame will be knackered.

I,ve had a look and there is nothing out the now that would fit on this frame to stop chain derailment so I would say avoid a triple set-up on this bike (cube agree) and go for double or compact as it is still a great bike.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I think you are right here. Same thing happened on my Cube. Lovely scratch marks on the paint job. After reading up about chain suck and taking corrective action I didn't have the problem again until it was time to swap out the from chain-set.

Was it a triple crankset?

Any chance you could post a pic if its a triple ?

cheers

amaferanga

Veteran
Reading what your saying here I dont think you fully understand how to set up a front derailer( I dont mean to offend you here).

When setting it up you set the stop screws so the derailer can only travel so far down and so far up stopping the chain jumping off small ring and big ring respectively,now I dont think these screws could possibly move unless force by a screwdriver is applied to them and any amount of cable stretch will only have an affect if its the cable holding the derailer in alignment and not the stop screw .

In my case the screw was so far out you could only come to one conclusion and that was it was never set up correctly .

Would the chain have still come off if it had been set-up correctly I dont think so but will never know.

You really have to look at this specific bike with the triple chainset to see it should have something on it to protect it,I think you will get 2-3(1 might be enough) chain derailments at the most and the frame will be knackered.

I,ve had a look and there is nothing out the now that would fit on this frame to stop chain derailment so I would say avoid a triple set-up on this bike (cube agree) and go for double or compact as it is still a great bike.

Um no I fully understand how to set up a front derailleur.

You claim that its the fault of Tredz for not setting up your bike properly while admitting to shifting down on a hill (presumably under load since you seem ignorant to the fact that this is a BAD thing to do). I suggest you learn how to maintain and ride a bike properly so this won't happen again.

Oh and chain catchers should not be necessary on a bike that is set-up properly (and avoiding shifting down at the front under load on a hill should make doubly sure that you never unship a chain). But as I have already said, if you get a braze-on front mech and mount that to a band on adapter in place of your current front mech then you'll be able to use a Token chain catcher.

If I were one of the guys at Tredz I'd be telling you to jog on and learn from your mistake.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Um no I fully understand how to set up a front derailleur.

You claim that its the fault of Tredz for not setting up your bike properly while admitting to shifting down on a hill (presumably under load since you seem ignorant to the fact that this is a BAD thing to do). I suggest you learn how to maintain and ride a bike properly so this won't happen again.

Oh and chain catchers should not be necessary on a bike that is set-up properly (and avoiding shifting down at the front under load on a hill should make doubly sure that you never unship a chain). But as I have already said, if you get a braze-on front mech and mount that to a band on adapter in place of your current front mech then you'll be able to use a Token chain catcher.

If I were one of the guys at Tredz I'd be telling you to jog on and learn from your mistake.

Thanks for your imput.

Fiona N

Veteran
I know what you are saying but think of it in legals terms it dosnt matter if it was chain suck or the derailer set up wrong or a combination of both what matters is was I using the bike as it was intended (fit for purpose) and if I was then its down to either warranty or negligence on Tredz part when building bike.

If you buy a new car and drive it as intended and something goes wrong after 5 weeks(not wear and tear)then your legally entitled to have it fixed(fit for purpose again).

You think because chains maybe jump off bikes and cause damage then its acceptable well its not especially when simple devices can prevent this possible design flaw,again it all goes back to if your using the bike as intended.

I'm a bit confused - you'd had the bike for 5 weeks and presumably you'd been riding it for 5 weeks. It's unlikely 'chain stretch' would account for the derailleur somehow moving further to the left although I guess the mythical cable stretch might be possible (I've never in 30+ years of riding good bikes ever had an example of 'cable stretch'). Basically as Amaferenga suggests, you made a mistake changing down at the wrong time and got the chain wrapped round the chainring. I'm having difficulties seeing just where the seller is liable here. If it happened in the first week of riding - fair enough but not after 5 weeks. Commonsense would indicate that you check brakes and gears after a couple of weeks on a new bike - reason why many places offer a free 'service' after a month or 1000km, especially to newbies on their first decent bike, just to make sure everything's still hunky-dory.

Sorry but I think this is your screw-up :sad:

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I'm a bit confused - you'd had the bike for 5 weeks and presumably you'd been riding it for 5 weeks. It's unlikely 'chain stretch' would account for the derailleur somehow moving further to the left although I guess the mythical cable stretch might be possible (I've never in 30+ years of riding good bikes ever had an example of 'cable stretch'). Basically as Amaferenga suggests, you made a mistake changing down at the wrong time and got the chain wrapped round the chainring. I'm having difficulties seeing just where the seller is liable here. If it happened in the first week of riding - fair enough but not after 5 weeks. Commonsense would indicate that you check brakes and gears after a couple of weeks on a new bike - reason why many places offer a free 'service' after a month or 1000km, especially to newbies on their first decent bike, just to make sure everything's still hunky-dory.

Sorry but I think this is your screw-up :sad:

I give up lol :biggrin: !

Top Bottom