Chain jammed help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cuber

I'm a bit confused - you'd had the bike for 5 weeks and presumably you'd been riding it for 5 weeks. It's unlikely 'chain stretch' would account for the derailleur somehow moving further to the left although I guess the mythical cable stretch might be possible (I've never in 30+ years of riding good bikes ever had an example of 'cable stretch'). Basically as Amaferenga suggests, you made a mistake changing down at the wrong time and got the chain wrapped round the chainring. I'm having difficulties seeing just where the seller is liable here. If it happened in the first week of riding - fair enough but not after 5 weeks. Commonsense would indicate that you check brakes and gears after a couple of weeks on a new bike - reason why many places offer a free 'service' after a month or 1000km, especially to newbies on their first decent bike, just to make sure everything's still hunky-dory.

Sorry but I think this is your screw-up :sad:

Hi fiona

Yes did about 300 miles in five weeks.

Didnt say cable stretch caused the failure-I claimed incorrect stop screw adjustment was the cause and that the damage was worse because it was a triple crankset.

The chain at no time wrapped round the chain ring-It got jammed between frame and chain-ring.

the reason it took 5 weeks to show was because I had never been in first gear in the 5 weeks I had bike-This was first time!

you assume Im a newbie making a mistake on my first decent bike-8000 miles in last 2 years and had my first +£1000 bike nearly 20 years ago .

Down shifting under pressure is not something i do and I cant remember the last time a chain came off the inside ring of any of my bikes.

But your fully entitled to your opinion.

cheers

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi fiona

Yes did about 300 miles in five weeks.

Didnt say cable stretch caused the failure-I claimed incorrect stop screw adjustment was the cause and that the damage was worse because it was a triple cranlset.

The chain at no time wrapped round the chain ring-It got jammed between frame and chain-ring.

the reason it took 5 weeks to show was because I had never been in first gear in the 5 weeks I had bike-This was first time!

you assume Im a newbie making a mistake on my first decent bike-8000 miles in last 2 years and had my first +£1000 bike nearly 20 years ago .

Down shifting under pressure is not something i do and I cant remember the last time a chain came off the inside ring of any of my bikes.

But your fully entitled to your opinion.

cheers

If the limit screw was at fault it would have popped of the bottom cog the first time you shifted to it.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I am not convinced and I don't think Tredz will be either TBH. Just suck it up and move on.

OOI what £1000+bike did you buy 20 years ago?

I can see your not convinced :biggrin: and your entitled to your opinion but you wasnt there and you didnt see how the derailer was set so i will not lose any sleep over it .

My bike was an Orange Elite.think it was the E4 model, Trippled butted aluminium was £660 for frame and forks and had shimano Stx-rc groupset,bike was £1100 all in if I remember correctly.

Can I ask how badly was your bike damaged and did you have to remove crank to put chain back on?.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I can see your not convinced :biggrin: and your entitled to your opinion but you wasnt there and you didnt see how the derailer was set so i will not lose any sleep over it .

My bike was an Orange Elite.think it was the E4 model, Trippled butted aluminium was £660 for frame and forks and had shimano Stx-rc groupset,bike was £1100 all in if I remember correctly.

Can I ask how badly was your bike damaged and did you have to remove crank to put chain back on?.

Moved chain in seconds. Chain suck is a common issue when on a MTB. I'm sure you know that.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Moved chain in seconds. Chain suck is a common issue when on a MTB. I'm sure you know that.

My chain was well stuck ,you were lucky.

Chain suck can be a problem especially if you have bent teeth on a ring but I dont know why we are talking about chain suck as my chain came off middle ring and missed the bottom ring ,nothing to do with chain suck.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My chain was well stuck ,you were lucky.

Chain suck can be a problem especially if you have bent teeth on a ring but I dont know why we are talking about chain suck as my chain came off middle ring and missed the bottom ring ,nothing to do with chain suck.

I have never seem or heard of anyone having to remove a crank arm or chainset to free a chain.

As for going from the middle ring to the BB in one go, that is a new one on me.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I have never seem or heard of anyone having to remove a crank arm or chainset to free a chain.

As for going from the middle ring to the BB in one go, that is a new one on me.

Exactly!=this is what ive been trying to say on this bike with a triple crankset if chain comes off for whatever reason(forget blame) the gap between small ring and the massive BB shell is such that the chain completely jams so that you will do serious damage to the frame.

This is the first bike also that I know of where this is the case.

Ok am in middle ring heading towards a hill that always kills me on my other bike which has a double and I stand up and gather a little speed then I sit down and engage bottom ring (im already in biggest sprocket on the back )and as soon as I realise the chain has come off I jump off but too late damage done.

I honestly think no-one who has posted on this thread gets it that on this bike with a triple crankset the frame could be damaged beyond repair if the chain comes off just once.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Exactly!=this is what ive been trying to say on this bike with a triple crankset if chain comes off for whatever reason(forget blame) the gap between small ring and the massive BB shell is such that the chain completely jams so that you will do serious damage to the frame.

This is the first bike also that I know of where this is the case.

Ok am in middle ring heading towards a hill that always kills me on my other bike which has a double and I stand up and gather a little speed then I sit down and engage bottom ring (im already in biggest sprocket on the back )and as soon as I realise the chain has come off I jump off but too late damage done.

I honestly think no-one who has posted on this thread gets it that on this bike with a triple crankset the frame could be damaged beyond repair if the chain comes off just once.

So you have shifted under load. Damaged beyond repair. It has a few scratches on it FFS.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

So you have shifted under load. Damaged beyond repair. It has a few scratches on it FFS.

Where on any of my posts do i say shifted under load?

Its a little worse than a few scratches!

If you still dont get it you never will but why do you even care?

If your happy paying 2k for a bike that could be knacked after one minor incident then I know where one is.:thumbsup:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Where on any of my posts do i say shifted under load?

Its a little worse than a few scratches!

If you still dont get it you never will but why do you even care?

If your happy paying 2k for a bike that could be knacked after one minor incident then I know where one is.:thumbsup:

Take it back to Tredz and explain the situation.I'm sure they will be most accommodating.

Top Bottom