Chain jammed help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cuber

I would have though with you 20+ years of experience you would be far better suited to the post than I.

Dont put yourself down am sure with time you will figure it out.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You posted on an open forum, what did you expect?

Well I didnt expect people with hidden agendas trying to hijack the thread or why someone with zero interest in helping me would even bother posting,I honestly dont get it .

Maybe you can enlighten me on this without the insults as I find a little bit of banter funny but two strangers insulting each other on a forum is just moronic,Im not saying either of us has dropped to this level YET :biggrin: .

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well I didnt expect people with hidden agendas trying to hijack the thread or why someone with zero interest in helping me would even bother posting,I honestly dont get it .

Maybe you can enlighten me on this without the insults as I find a little bit of banter funny but two strangers insulting each other on a forum is just moronic,Im not saying either of us has dropped to this level YET :biggrin: .
Fair do's. Think everyone is of opinion it was not shops fault. Best to say nothing else until the shop has seen the bike. Please let us know how you get on :smile:

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Fair do's. Think everyone is of opinion it was not shops fault. Best to say nothing else until the shop has seen the bike. Please let us know how you get on :smile:

Ok Angelfishsolo but I would rather you didnt speak for everyone as that is a lot of people your representing there.:biggrin:

Will agree that the 3 or 4 on this thread are of that opinion tho.

The shop does not even want to look at the bike and are basically giving me the speak to the hand treatment so its in hands of a third party.

As soon as I know the outcome you will be the very first person I will tell.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looking at the pictures, and the one of the BB area, it looks as though you've carried on pedalling. The paint is worn off to the carbon under layer to the front - that's not a one turn drop - that's quite a number of turns for that to happen.

The extent of scratches don't tie in with a half rotation.

What have you been doing ?

I can see the shop's point of view - a lot can happen in 5 weeks, what's to say the mech wasn't knocked ? As it's band on, it won't be torqued up like on steel frames, so may have slipped under a heavy change.

Shouldn't happen, but it can. I'd have fully tested all gears before hitting the road. The way to adjust a front mech is that in the lowest front cog and largest sprocket, the cage should just clear the chain so no rubbing, but you have to road test this, and the shop won't do that as it's brand new.

I've dropped chains in the past, and I've, at worse, ended up with a paint chip and an oily mark, never this amount of damage.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Looking at the pictures, and the one of the BB area, it looks as though you've carried on pedalling. The paint is worn off to the carbon under layer to the front - that's not a one turn drop - that's quite a number of turns for that to happen.

The extent of scratches don't tie in with a half rotation.

What have you been doing ?

I can see the shop's point of view - a lot can happen in 5 weeks, what's to say the mech wasn't knocked ? As it's band on, it won't be torqued up like on steel frames, so may have slipped under a heavy change.

Shouldn't happen, but it can. I'd have fully tested all gears before hitting the road. The way to adjust a front mech is that in the lowest front cog and largest sprocket, the cage should just clear the chain so no rubbing, but you have to road test this, and the shop won't do that as it's brand new.

I've dropped chains in the past, and I've, at worse, ended up with a paint chip and an oily mark, never this amount of damage.

Here we go again lol

The extent of the scratches is caused by the type of frame and triple crankset combo the chain being bigger than the gap between frame and bottom ring which is just recipe for disaster.

I can assure you it would be impossible to to turn the pedal one inch once this has jammed.

The shop said it was road tested !

Please dont compare this with a normal bike set-up as this set up is specific to this bike,I personally dont know of another bike where gap between frame and ring is smaller than the chain.

Think of it this way if you had a five foot wide car and tried to park it in four foot wide gap the outcome is going to be bad.

Chains come off bikes every day but because the gap between frame and chainset is greater than the chain the damage is usually minor.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Think you need to change approach with the shop. The 'rubbing' marks look like they've been done over some miles - i.e. the granny ring has been rubbing. As you say, you are no mechanic - some of us are more than handy with a set of bike tools.

Granny rings on road bikes are sooo wrong :tongue:

amaferanga

Veteran
The extent of the scratches is caused by the type of frame and triple crankset combo the chain being bigger than the gap between frame and bottom ring which is just recipe for disaster.

You do like pointing this out don't you.

Having had a quick look at both my road bikes with standard double cranksets I can confirm that the gap between the frame and the small ring is also smaller than the chain.

So stop your whinging and accept responsibility for the damage you did to your bike.

You'd have thought that with your 20 years plus experience with high-end bikes you'd actually know how to set them up by now....

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You do like pointing this out don't you.

Having had a quick look at both my road bikes with standard double cranksets I can confirm that the gap between the frame and the small ring is also smaller than the chain.

So stop your whinging and accept responsibility for the damage you did to your bike.

You'd have thought that with your 20 years plus experience with high-end bikes you'd actually know how to set them up by now....

:biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
I honestly think no-one who has posted on this thread gets it that on this bike with a triple crankset the frame could be damaged beyond repair if the chain comes off just once.

But that is the thing - I looked at the pictures and thought 'how far did this guy go before the chain actually locked the cranks?'

That came to mind because on my recumbent bike, also with a triple, it was possible to lose the chain off the small chain ring when changing up (never did figure why, I just got better at making sure it didn't happen) and, with the gap between inner chain ring and BB, it was possible to jam the chain. But I reckon I never pedalled more than a quarter turn before my feet were out of the pedals and I was stopped. Consequently despite this happening about half a dozen times, there was no damage to the paint of the boom or the BB.

Top Bottom