Chain jammed help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cuber

So go and find a forum where people think you have a valid complaint.

If i squint my eyes at your pic you do look a bit like william l Peterson.

Can I ask why your so obsessed with this?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If it is so funny why do I sense anger in some of your posts?

You do know you are a troll?
You remind me of the chap who came on here saying his collegues bike had suffered catastrophic failure due to the handle bars falling off the stem and talking about how he was going to get so much compensation. He had the same reaction as you are getting.
Anger - no. Frustration - yes. BTW every triple I have ever seen road or MTB has a tiny gap around the BB. After 20 years I'm sure you know that.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

You remind me of the chap who came on here saying his collegues bike had suffered catastrophic failure due to the handle bars falling off the stem and talking about how he was going to get so much compensation. He had the same reaction as you are getting.
Anger - no. Frustration - yes. BTW every triple I have ever seen road or MTB has a tiny gap around the BB. After 20 years I'm sure you know that.

I honestly think you cant help yourself and thats not a dig its what I honestly think.

Try and ignore this thread if it frustrates you so as its you thats keeping it going.

I said I had my first good bike 20 years ago my experiance goes back further,first proper racer 30ish years ago.:tongue:

OP
OP
C

Cuber

ok put a few things straight.

Its not normal to have to remove a crank because of a chain off -this is just not something that should happen.

In my 30ish years of cycling I have never heard of this and cant think why anyone would find it exceptable that simple chain off could destroy your frame.

chain 5.8mm-gap between crank and BB shell and downtube is a little under 5mm-Im NOT talking about the gap between ring and chainstay im talking about gap on full circumference of small ring.

Unless you own this bike with a triple or have access please refrain from posting as arguing blind so to speak will get us nowhere.

A simple chain catching device or playing about with the spacer so the crankset sits out a couple of more millimeters may work .

At some point on a bike whether due to error,incorrect adjustment of derailer maybe hitting a pothole the chain at some point will come off so this should not be an option for this bike because of the points above.

I also forgot to say the frame protector was also took clean off when the chain came off and never protected the frame one bit because it wasnt wrapped round frame and the only outcome here was if chain comes up it catches the lip of the protector and as it did took it clean off,was pointless putting it on the bike in the first place.

These points above are FACT not fiction and are not up for dispute!

raindog

er.....
What a strange thread.
laugh.gif

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I miss him, wonder where he is now

Stronglight 49d chainset. Quite impossible to get chain out from between bb and chainset if it fell off. Removing chainset only option.

I have a funny story about getting a chain caught between a Stronglight 49d chainset and a bottom bracket but that can wait for another time...

The OP has a case. A good mechanic preloads the cables to minimise the effects of cable stretch and preloads the mech stops too.

And then a good mechanic mashes the gears up to replicate real world conditions. The point where the (steel) stop screw rests against the (aluminum) body of the mech often deforms enough to shift a mech a couple or more mm, enough to drop a chain.

Everyone can make a mistake - from the easily distracted sixteen year old working as a mechanic on a mail order production line to an engineer on the Mclaren F1 team.

And this also highlights the potential pitfalls of buying a bike off of the interwebs. Don't do it unless you really know your way around a bike.

amaferanga

Veteran
And this also highlights the potential pitfalls of buying a bike off of the interwebs. Don't do it unless you really know your way around a bike.

You'd think that someone with 20+ years of riding high end bikes WOULD know their way around bikes though....

Top Bottom