Chain oil for bikes - cheaper alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What nobody has mentioned so far in this interesting discussion is the problem of dirt adhesion and metal wear. A "dry" wax/sovent lube will not generally attract grit unless you ride along the prom on a windy day, when it picks up sand. As the chain wears it will blacken with metal paste and that can transfer to clothing, legs, car seats etc. if you're not careful. However a "wet" lube will soon become filthy, which is fine if all you do is get on the bike, ride it and get off but if, like me, you are constantly loading the bike into a car or hanging it in the garage and otherwise handling it a wet dirty chain becomes a real nightmare, leaving filthy marks all over everything.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used dry lube on all my motorcycles..brilliant..mtb gets 15w engine oil..give it a good oiling and then run the chain through a rag to remove excess.I tend to repeat after every ride as its always a wash and lube around here as I find all the muddy xc routes..I like mud..
the road bike gets treated better than the wife,acording to her anyway....I use a ceramic FD lube on that...

sidevalve

Über Member
I used dry lube on all my motorcycles..brilliant..mtb gets 15w engine oil..give it a good oiling and then run the chain through a rag to remove excess.I tend to repeat after every ride as its always a wash and lube around here as I find all the muddy xc routes..I like mud..
the road bike gets treated better than the wife,acording to her anyway....I use a ceramic FD lube on that...
The wife or the road bike ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I rode a chain-driven motorbike I used to take off the chain and boil it in a big round tin of black wax, which penetrated the links and resisted being flung off. Anything lighter would end up spattered all over the rear of the bike. Shaft drive was a fantastic little bit of technology, especially on a commuter.
I remember Linklyfe.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Am I alone here?
When the chain needs oiling, I oil it, then wipe it off (Mickle method) but that's it.
When the chains knackered, I change it.
I certainly can't be bothered with any faff!
As for oil, I grab whatever I've picked up at the time. (currently a fancy expensive one, but only because I've not been to Decathlon for a while for their chain oil)

gwhite

Über Member
It's not so much the cost that I object to but the muck and grit that accumulates on the chain and transmission as that creates a grinding paste which causes wear.
I'm now trying a water-based lube sold by "Scot-oiler", the people that make oiler kits for motor bikes. Tried it for the first time on a really mucky day following salt being sprayed on the roads and returned with the bottom half of the bike covered with muck....all except the transmission which was a clean as when I left. I imagine that being water-based this would mean more applications would be needed.
No connection and all that.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What nobody has mentioned so far in this interesting discussion is the problem of dirt adhesion and metal wear. A "dry" wax/sovent lube will not generally attract grit unless you ride along the prom on a windy day, when it picks up sand. As the chain wears it will blacken with metal paste and that can transfer to clothing, legs, car seats etc. if you're not careful. However a "wet" lube will soon become filthy, which is fine if all you do is get on the bike, ride it and get off but if, like me, you are constantly loading the bike into a car or hanging it in the garage and otherwise handling it a wet dirty chain becomes a real nightmare, leaving filthy marks all over everything.
*cough* :whistle:
It also made a right mess - it was a dirt magnet. After a few rides I had to scrub my chain, and then I went back to conventional lube.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a gnarly decision. Wet lube which quickly gets smeggy, or the various dry lubes that are cleaner but in comparison aren't terribly good lubricants.

Time for a belt drive!

What are some of you doing with the stuff to warrant buying and using so much? Drinking the bloody stuff?

Of course I do. Keeps me regular.

bpsmith

Veteran
Dry ceramic lube on my motorbikes for years too. Same on road bikes too. All lovely and clean.

What's so difficult?

Top Bottom