Chain snapped,6.7 mile walk home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I don't have either , but has made me think and I shall invest ..

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Having been riding for about four years, broken chain is on my list of "things that might conceivably go wrong so I'd better be prepared"

Punctures...of course, split tyre wall....yes. The one I can't deal with that has happened a few times is a broken spoke so I need to figure that one out too.

Lonestar

Veteran
I generally carry a spare chain on the commute and it has come in handy before.

Jinxed it...not happy with my current chain it needs looking at.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I broke an old Rivoli chain tool years ago. Instead of binning it I filed off the remains of the handle and drilled and tapped a new thread into the body. This allowed me to screw a bolt into it as a DIY handle. The fact the handle comes out makes it a lot easier to store in a small under seat bag. I also carry a length of thick fishing line to tie a couple of the links together. Do this a few links away from either end and it gives you enough slack for an easier repair. Also carry a disposable latex glove. It saves the bar tape.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Having been riding for about four years, broken chain is on my list of "things that might conceivably go wrong so I'd better be prepared"

Punctures...of course, split tyre wall....yes. The one I can't deal with that has happened a few times is a broken spoke so I need to figure that one out too.
You can usually ignore a broken spoke for a short time. Just take it easy on the way home.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I think chain braking and new mountain bike is more of a concern? Brand new bike or new to you?

Top Bottom