Chain snapped,6.7 mile walk home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My crystal ball says it was a fixie.Damn 5000 speed bumps on my commute took their toll.

Aaah, well, the image was quite hazy. Now that I've polished it a bit I can see it was a fixie.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I broke an old Rivoli chain tool years ago. Instead of binning it I filed off the remains of the handle and drilled and tapped a new thread into the body. This allowed me to screw a bolt into it as a DIY handle. The fact the handle comes out makes it a lot easier to store in a small under seat bag.
Was anyone else wondering about the point of putting a new handle onto a Rivoli whose prongs had broken off before realising that HM had broken the handle instead of the prongs as usual? No? Just me then? :laugh:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I have a topeak rescue box which holds a quick link nicely stores patches and you can put a tenner in it too

I generally carry a spare chain on the commute and it has come in handy before.

And quite often in new and innovative ways which require a tool or part that you don't carry in the mobile toolshed.

I've started towing a spare bike around on a trailer in case anything goes wrong with the one I'm riding.

My big concern now is what to do if something goes wrong with the trailer...

:whistle:

Seriously though, don't overthink things.

Lonestar

Veteran
I've started towing a spare bike around on a trailer in case anything goes wrong with the one I'm riding.

My big concern now is what to do if something goes wrong with the trailer...

:whistle:

Seriously though, don't overthink things.

Sorry but I have to when commuting to work.I've been late once in the last twenty years,so all those tools do come in handy.

Last edited:

raj

The one I can't deal with that has happened a few times is a broken spoke so I need to figure that one out too.
http://www.emergency-spoke.co.uk/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiberFix-Emergency-Spoke-Replacement-Kit/dp/B001GSMQZC

I have the 1st one but not used it yet as I have a disc bike. Broke 3 spokes (on separate occasions) but in each case not far from home and wheel turned OK. Probably more use on rim brakes, particularly front.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I only carry two tubes and tyre levers. If anything else goes wrong, it is a mobile phone call to my wife. So far, I have always gone home under my own steam and very, very few punctures.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Would a cab take your bike where you live? I doubt if they would here and you can hardly leave it, unless you are prepared to leave it with a stranger.

Yeah, we have a couple of good services here. I could either request an accessible car (the ones with a ramp to take a wheelchair onboard without folding) or a London style with the folding seats. Failing all of that, the bike could go in a seven seater with one or maybe both wheels off :smile:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Having been riding for about four years, broken chain is on my list of "things that might conceivably go wrong so I'd better be prepared"

Punctures...of course, split tyre wall....yes. The one I can't deal with that has happened a few times is a broken spoke so I need to figure that one out too.

With regards to broken spokes your options are either.
A: carry spare spokes and a spoke key and learn how to use them.
B: ditch the 20 spoke wheels and get some with a proper number of spokes, but then you can break one and not worry unduly.
C: pay @I like Skol to follow you every time you go out..

C: is undoubtedly too horrible to
contemplate, so I'd go with option B.

Top Bottom