Chainring or Sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hi All,
I have SS with a 46t chainring and a 16t Sprocket but, I think my knees are starting to crave an easier life. I changed from an 18t to a 16t over 12mths ago as I was starting to spin out once up to speed but, it is now the resistance when starting off that's begining to take its toll, especially if climbing. Would changing down to a 42t chainring make much of a noticeable difference?

D

Deleted member 1258

I'd just put an 18 tooth sprocket on, my fixed runs 44x18, about a 64-65 inch gear, which is spinny.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Would changing down to a 42t chainring make much of a noticeable difference?
Going from 18t to 16t gave you an 11% longer gear. Going from 46t chain ring to a 42t would mean a 9% shorter gear.
Would seem much easier (with negligible 'difference') just to go back to the 18t sprocket.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have ridden 43x17 almost invariably on fixed. Nowadays I'm more likely to stick to 43x18.

Learning how to spin and the resultant improvement in smooth pedalling technique is one of the reasons for riding fixed. I'm happy up to around 150rpm cadence; used to be a lot higher when I was younger.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have ridden 43x17 almost invariably on fixed. Nowadays I'm more likely to stick to 43x18.

Learning how to spin and the resultant improvement in smooth pedalling technique is one of the reasons for riding fixed. I'm happy up to around 150rpm cadence; used to be a lot higher when I was younger.

I'm the same, happy up to 150rpm, used to manage a bit higher when I was a youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
I 'sort of' grasp the different Gear Inches calculations but, the distance per crank revolution doesn't really tell me how it's going to actually feel to drop down a few teeth. I was onIy thinking about a 42t as I know that when I had one of my previous old school bikes with a 52/42 double I used to favour the 42t so much that the 52t was hardly ever used. I see the sense in changing the cheaper sprocket though, so I'll probably give that a go. I can't put my old Shimano one back on as it was knackered but, I have been pleased with the quality of the Sturmey Archer 16t I replaced it with (nice clicking sound to it) so I'll look for one with 18t and see how i get on.

Thanks for the advice everybody it is always appreciated :thumbsup:

simongt

Guru
I'm happy up to around 150rpm cadence;
How fast - ? ! :eek: Although I've never ridden 'proper' fixed, I have attempted in the past to spin as fast as my wee legs will allow on a geared bike in the right circumstances. But I've never achieved more than about 80- 90rpm because it seemed that my legs wouldn't respond to my brain saying 'spin faster'.
So how do you folk manage 150rpm then - ? :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

How fast - ? ! :eek: Although I've never ridden 'proper' fixed, I have attempted in the past to spin as fast as my wee legs will allow on a geared bike in the right circumstances. But I've never achieved more than about 80- 90rpm because it seemed that my legs wouldn't respond to my brain saying 'spin faster'.

Keep it smooth and keep pressure on the pedals, keep pushing the pedals round don't let the pedals turn your feet.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
KMC B1 is £4 from a local bike shop. SA sprockets are similar. I think decent chainrings are more than £8 but I could be wrong. I'd change the sprocket and fit a new chain.
Where is this super cheap LBS? I have scoured ebay and googled until my eyes were crossed but, I have never spotted chainrings for anywhere near £8.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Practice. I used to ride fixed on the commute every day and soon developed the ability to spin comfortably at 120rpm on the flat. 150rpm downhill is fairly normal - but I find it's more a case of your legs trying to keep up with the speed the cranks are spinning at, rather than actively pushing.

Top Bottom