Chainring or Sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
170rpm is ok in short bursts (35mph on a 70" gear) but you won't be putting in any power at that speed unless you're really, really good.

I choose a gear so I don't have to drag-brake on any foreseeable descents, and let the climbs worry about themselves. When I used to ride evening "10"s, I'd be riding out to the start on a 48 x 14 and it was quite manageable, even steep bridge approaches.

silva

Über Member
I also don't get how someone is able to spin such high rpm. Short legs? Short cranks?
When I went 35-40km/h with my fixed gear of 48/16, I almost have to hold my legs up as to not resist the pedals movement, and when I do hold them on it's like I'm dancing on my saddle.
And most of all, it just feels so useless, lotsa energy for little more speed.
At least, that was my impression, if it is scientific, I don't know. :P

D

Deleted member 1258

I also don't get how someone is able to spin such high rpm. Short legs? Short cranks?
When I went 35-40km/h with my fixed gear of 48/16, I almost have to hold my legs up as to not resist the pedals movement, and when I do hold them on it's like I'm dancing on my saddle.
And most of all, it just feels so useless, lotsa energy for little more speed.
At least, that was my impression, if it is scientific, I don't know. :P

I'm comfortable up to around 150rpm, above that my little legs struggle to keep up.

D

Deleted member 1258

If you look ^^^, Dave, you will see your comment is consistent with yours of 11 months ago @silva has resurrected an old thread.

Looks like I shall have to stop multitasking and concentrate fully on what I'm doing. ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Shouldn't his rpm have dropped abit since he's a year older now?

My RPM hasn't changed a lot since I started riding fixed, about 1989, what's happened is I've got more comfortable spinning it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom