Chainring removal and cleaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seriously nerdy question here.

Do folk ever remove their chain rings to clear all the grot out that sits in all those chainring/crank corners?

Or is it just pointless - the grot/road debris will just get there again in no time?

And maybe is in any case no great problem/won't degrade anything if you just make sure the main body of the chainrings is kept clean?

I have only ever really removed all the chainrings and cleaned everything when I have had to replace one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Nope. It's never occurred to me to do that. I do occasionally try to get into the nooks and crannies with an old toothbrush though.

If I did I'd probably make a balls-up of putting it back. Somehow get the bolts the wrong way round, or too tight, or too loose. Or put the chainring on upside down or inside-out or backwards or something.

pawl

Legendary Member
I just apply chain cleaner with a paint brush.Scrub it well Leave it for couple of minutes then use the hose pipe set at low pressure to wash it off .Works for me.

si_c

Guru
Nah, I just spray degreaser on and then use a cloth, you can get to 95% of the chainset without taking it off.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The risk of repeated removal and refitting of chainrings (chain ring bolt security) has to be balanced against the benefits of a 'deep clean'. The 'hard to reach' places are not ones where dirt will have any effect on the drive train's operation/efficiency.

Dale 1956

Seriously nerdy question here.

Do folk ever remove their chain rings to clear all the grot out that sits in all those chainring/crank corners?

Or is it just pointless - the grot/road debris will just get there again in no time?

And maybe is in any case no great problem/won't degrade anything if you just make sure the main body of the chainrings is kept clean?

I have only ever really removed all the chainrings and cleaned everything when I have had to replace one.
Park Tools makes a set of brushes to clean you drive train and chainring and it does not cost to much either.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Floss the narrow crevices with a piece of folded cloth damp with white spirit/degreaser, it'll clean up & shine like a hens teeth.
Sorry - not into using degreaser on anything but a chain already taken off the bike. Grease is good.

My concern is only really functional and on balance have decided that I will let the stuff sit there as long as the chainrings are as clean as I can get them. Which just means taking the chain off.

Reactions: C R

newts

Veteran
Sorry - not into using degreaser on anything but a chain already taken off the bike. Grease is good.

My concern is only really functional and on balance have decided that I will let the stuff sit there as long as the chainrings are as clean as I can get them. Which just means taking the chain off.
Only just damp enough to help remove the crud, not saturated. Buff over with an oily rag after.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The crevices @Blue Hills means are unreachable with 'an oily rag' let alone the idea of 'buffing them over'.
His functional 'test' is the sensible OCD-avoiding way ahead.
@newts I suggest, as an experiment, you remove the crud, buff away, and then take the chainset off and take the rings off. See if there is any dirt left there.

Top Bottom